1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Where do you guys source electronic components?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pie_man_25, Feb 9, 2014.

1. pie_man_25

pie_man_25

Hey, the question is in the title, I'm wanting to build an Atari Punk Console circuit, and generally get started on some electronics building. I've already hoarded enough resistors, some 555 timers, and most parts to build a couple, but I'm wanting to know where I can source the other parts.

I suppose this could also be encouragement for some people to discuss the other stuff that they build, but primarily I just need to get some parts together, and don't know where to go.

2. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Really depends on what I'm buying. AdaFruit, Mouser, DigiKey, SparkFun, Xoxide, Amazon, Reynolds, Hobby Engineering are all common for me to buy from. :p

3. tplyons

tplyons

Usually DigiKey and Mouser.

4. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Just like with MI gear:

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BUSINESS.

If they're still in operation that is.

Sure, there's hard to find components that has to be ordered on-line, but for the basic needs, do visit their shops instead.

Regards
    Sam

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    I don't tinker at that level, but the guy I go to said when it's time to stock up and he isn't looking for specific parts he uses military surplus sites and auctions. They're usually large lots, cheap, and (obviously) mil-spec.

7. m0nst3r

m0nst3r

When I gutted my bass and went from active to passive, I got everything from http://www.tubesandmore.com/. My friend builds amps, and I believe this is where he gets most of his stuff too.

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Mouser and Digi-Key are my faves, going back 20+ years. Both have amazingly good search capabilities, and rarely run out of the parts that I need.

In the digital realm, I've been happy with SparkFun and Adafruit.

DIY bass gear stuff: Parts Express and US Speaker.

Here in the US, local parts stores are gone.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Radio Shack.

-Mike

10. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Funny you mention them. They had some awesome Android sales a couple of months ago. Stuff was 50-66% off. I stocked up on a lot of things I didn't immediately need or had plans for, but will likely use at some point anyway. Sadly, I think they may have or be in the process of exiting that line of retail. Supposedly, R.S. is going through a remake and will become a better electronics shop again rather than a phone and R/C place. We'll see.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Not if you need help finding anything... last time I was in there I was looking for a 1/4" stereo jack (pretty common) and they kept giving me a 3.5mm mono jack saying... for headphones, right?

That and the fact that they ask for a phone number every time I buy something. Sorry, I'm not buying on account, you don't need to know who I am. One associate at my local RS got a little grouchy when I didn't want to give him a phone number so I read off his manager's phone number from the business card holder right next to him.

They don't hire the brightest...

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

True Tim. I typically have done my research online, so I know what I want. By the time I get to Radio Shack, the only help I need is paying for the item.

I will say though, when we lived in New Hampshire, the guy who owned the local Radio Shack was an electronics/radio/stereo/cell phone/TV wiz. He knew the layout of the store like the back of his hand, always had ideas and suggestions for whatever project I was working on, and provided me some practical advice to get my project done.

That Radio Shack was the go to joint for us when I worked in the IT department at the hospital across the street. The next nearest store that sold anything remotely electronic was over an hour away, so that guy saved us time and money many times over.

-Mike