1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Where Do You Hear Your Music?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ZenG, Dec 19, 2013.

1. ZenG

ZenG

As I peruse the top ten lists of music here I realize there are a lot of bands I've yet to here.

I watch music videos
    I listen to the radio

For some reason the stations around here don't get into playing many of the bands listed.....no matter which station I go to.

Where do you go to experience your faves?
  2. elgecko

elgecko

Spotify

Pandora

Sirius Satellite

My own collection
  3. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

I've got a great local station that plays blues, soul, gospel, funk, etc. all the time.
    It's pretty much on all the time at my house.

I get a lot of stuff from friends, we trade CD's and mp3's all the time.

Sometimes I will ask a younger person I work with to copy a couple gigabytes of files onto my mp3 player. There is some good stuff usually.
  4. NightCat

NightCat

I use Pandora as kinda a search tool. I'll start a station with someone like Morphine and see what other bands relate to that one.
    One of the coolest band I've found using Pandora is Seasick Steve. If ya need bass content to click a link here is Seasick Steve with John Paul Jones, however this is my favorite, no bass but it is worth watching just for the drummer, Never Go West.

I also try to click on the links that fellow TBrs post. I never would have found Vulfpeck without this forum. Joe Dart is my current favorite bass player.
  5. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

Spotify and iTunes primarily.
  6. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

iPod mainly. I only buy CDs for the collectability now, and more recently I've turned to vinyl for the hard copy because I'm just finding CDs have this cheap, disposable feel about them. Some are nice though (e.g. digipaks). If I buy a CD, it goes onto the iPod straightaway and most new vinyls come with download codes.

For checking out new stuff, YouTube is good for a free listen, and if I like what I hear I'll track it down and buy. A lot of the good review sites usually have a link to a track on YouTube from the album reviewed, which I find really helpful - music journalism too often reads like a first year lit crit essay and you're left wondering whether the review was even about music. The Tiny Mix Tapes review website is the biggest culprit. But yeah, YouTube for just checking something out.

I don't use any streaming service on principle. My band went with a distributor that sent to Spotify etc. as well as the normal outlets, and we didn't look into it fully. Turns out you get about 0.00004 cents a month from those streaming services. And that's not an exaggeration, I can post the accounts. The guy from Galaxie 500 wrote a piece on it for Pitchfork (I think) that's worth reading.
  7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Mostly live. Festival lineups. Bands opening for other bands. Going out to hear a band I've never heard before, just because I'm bored, or just for the heck of it.

Also, some internet cruising. I learn about a lot of artists right here on TB, in fact.
  8. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

I hear a lot of music that's new to me, and that I like, on the two NPR stations in San Diego (one a jazz station), and from recommendations from friends, both in the real world and on TB and FB.

I stumble across a variety of music surfing YouTube and following unexpected links, often just to see where they lead.

I'm also turned on to new music by my nephew and my [college] students.

Finally, I'm constantly exposed to new music by the folks I gig with.

I haven't listened to Top-40 radio in decades.