1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Where I am at?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by hharda9791, Feb 3, 2013.

1. hharda9791

hharda9791

I have been taking bass lessons for a year. I have had 2 instructors. Both were professional bass players. I have definitely gotten better. I do not sound crazy anymore.

My goal is to beable to read music and play. Neither have taught me from a book. Some focus on scales. I am a blank slate and not sure how this should happen.. Kind of looking for someone to fundamentally teach me.

Should I continue to look for someone who will give me a book with a plan? Or is it that I need to get my hands moving before I get to this. Again I have definitely improved. I am just looking for some focus?

BassRookie
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Find a teacher who can teach you to read and go pick up a bass book and work through it. Even a pianist can teach you to read the F clef properly if you cannot find a cheap bass teacher who can actually teach staff.

If you want to learn to read there is only way to do it. Reading.
  3. BassFuzz24

BassFuzz24

I too have been making an effort to become literate. Ed Friedland's book "Building Walking Basslines" is probably the best $20 I've spent.
  4. hharda9791

hharda9791

I do have a book and I have been doing it on my own. He is teaching me songs and I see I can learn them. But I would like to do both together.
  5. CrewsControl

CrewsControl

What do you mean "He is teaching me songs?" Specific songs note for note, or do you mean in a more general sense like "So What is a walk in Dorian mode on D and E." I am also a student bassist, been taking private lessons for a year and a half.

I also take a class from the same instructor called "Adult Rock Band 101". That's where we learn specific songs as a group. The music I read in that class is basically just the chord progressions on a staff with rests, repeats, codas, etc. If the song has specific riffs then the notes for that might be printed. But for the most part, I'm just expected to know how to get from Am to F, then to C G Fmaj7 G ("Cowgirl in the Sand," which we're learning in the current class). And thanks to the private lessons, I can do that. So my instruction is split with a focus on theory in private lessons, and applying that to actual songs in the group class.
  6. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

I think you may be ready to go it alone.

The light bulb comes on when you can relate sheet music to the song. Notice I said sheet music, be that standard notation, tabs, fake chord or lead sheet once you know how to take a piece of sheet music and play a song from that everything begins to fall into place. Songwriter picked a key, from that a chord progression developed, from the chord progression a melody came to life. Lyrics entered into the picture and those were put into verse format. The same progression probably works for all verses and the chorus, the melody is the same for all verses, yes the lyrics need to change for each verse -- but -- the fundamentals stay pretty much the same, it's not rocket science. Root on 1 and a steady groove.......

Find some musicians and ask to hang around. Pay attention to what they are doing, take notes, carry their stuff in and out, be of help, and I bet they will answer your questions. Your church's Praise band, jamming circles in your area, garage bands, nursing home bands. Bands are everywhere seek them out; ask if you can be a sponge and sit in on a gig. That by the way was how I got started; went with a friend to his gig and sat in the audience. Took notes and let him explain what happened on the ride back home.

You sound like me, I need to see the light at the end of the tunnel. For me Bass Guitar for Dummies or the Internet site www.studybass.com make since as I can start on the first page and progress as fast as I want to. IMO there is enough "stuff" out there that will teach you the fundamentals - then when you get into technique, then seek out an instructor. So you develop some bad habits, most of the guys I play with have one or two. If this is going to be your primary way of making a living disregard what I just said.

Now if you have never played any instrument, then a teacher is needed to help with the fundamentals. If you know your way around a piece of sheet music you know enough to tackle the fundamentals by yourself. IMO.

Good luck.