Where is a good place to try out a bunch of acoustic bass guitars?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Will_White, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Will_White

Will_White

I live in the Willamette valley and I am looking for a place to try a bunch of acoustic basses out before I buy one. At my local GC I found this http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-Exclusive-Acoustic-Electric-Bass-108254137-i2638813.gc that of the 4 acoustic basses they had :mad: was the one I liked the sound and feel of the most even compared to a much more expensive fender. I would like to try more Basses out before I make a decision to buy one but everywhere I know to look (Southtown Music, ABC music, Keizer GC) has a dismal selection of only Dean and low end ibanez. Anyone know any where else to look in this area.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I bought my Breedlove at GC. The one in my area usually has a half dozen or so decent AGBs.
  3. Will_White

Will_White

As I said in the first post my GC does not, or they have them spread randomly through out the acoustic room and I haven't noticed them, It was hard to find the 4 I did because they were tucked in an alcove with the banjos, I will try looking around for more when I go back Monday.
  4. Bongolation

Bongolation

I don't think the GC here -- which is a big one -- has a single ABG, and hasn't for ages.

That whole misbegotten fad seems to be over, and not a minute too soon.

But, if for some reason you're still determined to get one of these things, you are almost certainly going to have a much harder time finding a selection to choose from than you would have fifteen years ago, wherever you are.
  5. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

Isn't Breedlove in Bend? Take a drive.
  6. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

I can tell you the WORST place to try out acoustic bass guitars...

NAMM. Couldn't hear S---.
  7. Will_White

Will_White

How much do breedloves go for used? They are out of my price range new. I have a budget of about 450$ but would go up to 500$ if I really liked the sound and feel.
    I really only want it for (louder) non plugged in practicing and playing around the campfire with an acoustic guitar, plus for the unique tone they can provide for a change of pace.
  8. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    It's the worst place to try out anything.
  9. Bongolation

Bongolation

Try it with a borrowed one before you drop money on one. At that price, unplugged you're simply not going to get one that will get through guitar and someone's caterwauling. That's why the fad died. Everyone threw them in the campfire. The physics just don't support the concept. Some people say a couple of high-end ones will do it (I don't believe them), but I'll tell you for free the cheap ones sure don't unless they're plugged in and if you're going to plug in, why not use a real bass?
  10. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    I've never heard an acoustic bass guitar that produced enough volume to be heard from more than a few feet away when not amplified, especially when other instruments are playing.
  11. MD

MD

A while back I was sitting at a campsite noodling on my ABG. After some time, I wondered over to an adjacent site where the rest of our party was gearing up for pre dinner cocktails. The guitar player who I accompany around the fire said "hey, sounds good over there". They were easily 60+' away.

OP.... if that Ibanez feels and sounds good, go for it. Play it and have fun.
  12. aprod

aprod

I have searched high and low for an ABG that could hang with a couple acoustic guitars. That animal does not exist. If I have to amplify I might as well use my P-bass. It has a very nice upright sound. The only one that might get the job done is a Warwick Alien, a little pricey for me, about $1500.
  13. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    It doesn't sound like he said, "Hey the bass sounds good over there."
  14. vin*tone

vin*tone

I have a cheapo Monterey bass which I defretted and threw tapes on and it sounds great. Totally different voice to the solid body and also my upright.

To the ABG haters - It's not all about volume and playing with acoustic guitarists around campfires - It's a great tool to get improvising in the deck chair in the back yard.

in fact .... the tone I get from by ABG has got me saving for a Rob Allen. It's the closest I'll get to its tone through an amp.
  15. vin*tone

vin*tone

An upright would do it. :cool: And it has more of an "upright sound" if that's what you're after.
  16. WashburnAB95

WashburnAB95

Be VERY careful with Ibanez. I had an ABG and the 1/4" and then the XLR jack both ended up going bad. Ibanez had no interest in making it right. The instrument itself seems as though it was made well but the electronics where crap. Granted this instrument was purchased around 4 years ago when the whole ABG thing was just getting popular. The newer instruments might be made better.
  17. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

Perhaps check out a Resonator Bass? I played one at my local shop and it sounded leagues better than any regular ABG I've played.
  18. WashburnAB95

WashburnAB95

My current Smi-hollow body bass has about as much acoustic volume as my old ABG did. You will work MUCH harder at getting tone. Fret noise and finger noise are much more noticeable than on an electric.

ABG seem like a GREAT idea... but soon as you own one you realize the idea is much better than the reality. If you are serious about acoustic settings.... have you considered a Guitarrón? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitarrón_mexicano
  19. Davo-London

Davo-London

I have a Godin A4 fretless, which is the most URB-like tone I have managed to achieve on any bass I've tried.

My tone can be found here:

Godin
    Davo
  20. Will_White

Will_White

I have looked at a resonator bass online, but I haven't found one in a store and If I am going to spend a large amount of money (for me) on something as subjective as an instrument I want to be able to play one first.

I looked briefly at the guitaron but if I was going to carry that around I might as well have an upright bass.