1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Where is the best place to order a new Rickenbacker 4003 Bass from?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Timpala, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Timpala

Timpala Supporting Member

I am looking to buy a New Rickenbacker 4003 Bass. I am just wondering where the most reputable place to buy one in my area. Des moines, Iowa to be exact.

2. Immigrant

Immigrant

From what I've read here, Pick of the Ricks is the best place to get a Ric from, even if you're on the moon.

3. kcole4001

kcole4001

4. Timpala

Thanks! I must of had a couple too many last night. Rock videos and booze=me wanting to buy more gear.:bassist:

A Rickenbacker is missing from my dream team though. I will check out the website.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

7. Timpala

Ok, so I went to Pick Of The Ricks website. They have 2 basses and one of them is left handed. Is it usually like this or are they just waiting for the 2014 models?

Also, there are several new Rickenbacker basses on eBay for $1,800 as opposed to $2,200 at Pick Of The Ricks. Most of the eBay shops get 100% good feedback, so why not just order from them?

8. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

I believe that the lefty's are priced a bit higher than righty's. You may just want to contact them regarding expected future stock. Keep in mind that Pick of the Ricks is an authorized dealer, so if you buy from them (or another authorized dealer), you get the warranty as the original owner. If you buy from ebay and the seller is not an authorized dealer, they are considered to be the owner and you'll get no warranty, since the warranty is not transferable.

9. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Rickenbacker is an odd company. They build a batch of this and then they build a batch of that. Bass Northwest here in Seattle is a Ric dealer, and they go for months without any. Then they have a bunch of them for a while. I guess it is partly governed by how many people buy them and how fast they sell, but it seems like they get half a dozen all at once after having none for a very long time. Rickenbacker does what Rickenbacker does, and it is a mystery to the rest of us.

I bought my Ric used from eBay. That's always a crap shoot, but it worked out fine in this case. Rics don't seem to lose value unless they have been horribly abused, and not too many of them seem to get abused like Fenders do. Normally, I like to support local brick and mortar stores, but sometimes online is the way to go. There are no absolutes.

10. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Honestly www.wildwoodguitars.com is thee BEST place to buy a Rickenbacker just because of the price, they are seriously the best pricing on 4003 Ricks in the entire U.S.

11. Timpala

They don't even have 1 in stock right now. That's ok for now. I probably won't buy until Spring anyway.

12. Timpala

Good point.

13. Timpala

I just looked up the authorized dealers in Iowa. Bob's Guitars in Cedar Falls is the only one. I just happen to know the manager. Hell yeah!

14. grenadilla

grenadilla

Dave's Guitars in Wisconsin has a beautiful blue 4003. I wish I could jump on it!

15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    The factory is fairly small so they do build in batches, smart idea. Mesa Engineering does the same thing, they build certain models at various times and switch off on what they build. When I toured the place in 2007 they were building Triaxis preamps.

16. fjadams

fjadams

Dietze Music in Lincoln has three Rics hanging on the wall. Not sure what models though. Might be worth calling them anyway.

They always have as good prices as can be had on everything they sell.

17. bobalu

bobalu

I've dealt with Pick of the Ricks several times in the past (not for a guitar though) and their customer service is absolutely stellar. Among the best in the business. They haven't had any 4003's in for a while but as mentioned here, I think RIC produces in batches.

18. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Pick of the Ricks of Wildwood.

I got mine from POTR and had nothing but a stellar experience, they are a great shop.

19. Timpala

I've done business with this company in the past. They found me replacement speakers for my blown 8x10 (pre-internet days). Good company & service.

20. NeverKnowsBest

NeverKnowsBest

PotR or Wildwood, but do not forget that many Guitar Centers carry Rickenbacker in their premium rooms. If you cannot find one from the online sources, I would check local Guitar Centers. They match prices too.

21. electracoyote

electracoyote

Another vote for POR or Wildwood.

I live close to Wildwood and stop by there all the time. Those guys really know and love guitars and basses. Hardcore. They don't stock factory seconds and QC rejects. Literally everything you touch in that store is one of the "good ones." I nearly lost my mind recently searching for a decent Les Paul Junior Special. Walked into Wildwood, and there it is hanging on the wall all this time, a perfect beefy specimen. The Rics there are amazing.