1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Where is The Piezo on This Godin A5?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bachlover, Jan 18, 2014.

1. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I just bought this and really like the upright thumpy sound I get from it. I'm a noob as far as piezos go and can't find much on this early pre ultra A5. I've been researching on line a little about piezo pups and assume that the characteristics of the piezo pup is what's giving the thumpy upright sound. Is this what is also causing the output to be so hot? Anyone know where the pup placement would be on this guitar? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

The bridge, under the saddles.
  3. groooooove

groooooove

piezos are always in the bridge.

i diddnt know godin makes basses... i've got a godin guitar that is absolutely killer for the price.
  4. bachlover

I wasn't in the market for one, but once I heard the tone of this, I had to get it. The more common is the Ultra A5 which allows for a synth hook up and also has a soapbar as well as the piezo. So, the pup is under the bridge in the body of the guitar?
  5. line6man

line6man

As mentioned, piezo elements are always in the bridge.

Piezos are not traditional magnetic pickups that can be placed wherever you want them. They are pressure-sensitive elements that must be placed under a vibrating string, and hence, they always go either under bridges, or in the saddles.
  6. bachlover

I thought that they can pick up the vibration from the body by being placed there. This is where I thought the thumpy sound was coming from, more from a body placement then from the strings.
  7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Not really. I mean there is certainly body vibration in there, because the whole system vibrates; but the main thing is the string pressure, and the thump is the fundamental of the notes, plus subharmonics from hitting the strings, that are not as prominent with a typical mag pup.
  8. line6man

line6man

Some people put piezo elements in the body to get sound effects. For instance, Michael Manring has three in the body, and one under the nut of his Hyperbass, to allow him to tap on the body and make percussive sounds.

Piezo elements in the body can be used to pick up vibrations, but it won't ever sound as good as when the elements are placed in the saddles.
  9. Fretweld6

Fretweld6

I have a Godin BG-5 Active and it IS fantastic !