1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

where should i set my crossover frequency?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BassIsFun17, Dec 31, 2012.

1. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Supporting Member

right now now i am running a JBL LSR 2310SP 10" Powered Studio Subwoofer and a pair of mackie mr5's. i am running a dbx 234s crossover in 2 way mode. the crossover select between low/high is 450 hz to 9.6 khz. where should i set the crossover for the best sound?

thanks!

2. miiitch

miiitch

uh ... a subwoofer and some monitors? o_O
    more like 60-100 hz

that thing doesn´t seem to do what you need it to do

3. BassIsFun17

maybe i'd need to run it in 3 way mode then?

i'm just basing the frequency points from the manual. and in 2 way mode that what the low/high crossover control allows.

this crossover is for a live PA really, but it has 2 way, 3 way and 4 way mono functions, so it should work. and guitar center said it would still work.

4. BassIsFun17

if there is a better way to do this, how should i do it? will it be better to just buy a monitor mixer and just use the crossover's built into the speakers?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DuraMorte

DuraMorte

There should be a ÷10 button on the crossover somewhere. Use it to get your crossover set to around 90Hz. Be sure to use the LF sum as well.

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Round up a room measurement mic and analyze it

IK Multimedia ARC is made just for this
    And let's you sound like a car when you need to for mix down.

8. BassIsFun17

ill take a look at it

the manual says that in 2 way mode, the crossover is x10 from what it normally is, which is normally 45hz - 960hz, but in 2 way it x10 so its 450hz-9.6 khz.

which seems strange to me, cause house else could i run a sub if it doesnt do the 150hz range or lower?

9. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    I set my car stereo at 120 HZ with a hard slope.

Bag End sets their crossover at 80 HZ.

If you go much higher than 120 the lows start getting muddy. Much lower than 80 and you're working the high/mid cab harder than you have to. Shoot inbetween these two and you should be good.

Remember, just because a cab states that it's got a freq. rango of 50hz to 19,000 doesn't mean it does it well.

10. BassIsFun17

where would i want the LF sum switch set? normal or summed?

and i found the xover freq switch for x1 and x10, so i just need to have it at x1

11. uhdinator

uhdinator

Read the manual on the sub. There's a crossover in it. You just run L/R Into it and out to your MR5's. it passes the HF based on a setting of 80hz or 120hz.

You don't need a crossover.

12. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Uhdin: I didn't notice that. You are correct. You probably get better results at the 120HZ setting.

If you were running music (MP3), CD ettc) you would want to sum. What this does it take the left and right signals and combine them properly to prevent phase canceling.

Since you're running bass, that's mono, it doesn't matter. Unless you're running a stereo effect like delay or chorus, in this case see above.

13. BassIsFun17

woow so all i had to do is daisy chain? i guess you can always expect guitar center to sell you one extra item. either way, i needed a crossover for my PA, so i guess it works out okay.

can i still use the crossover if i'd like to? would it provide greater flexibility than using a fixed crossover like the sub has? i know you can bypass the crossover on the sub.

14. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

If you have any kind of studio or do your own recordings, I suggest downloading an RTA program and learn to use it well. That will tell you not only where your speakers will perform best, it will tell you where to place the sub, the best listening position, how much toe-in the speakers need, etc.

15. BassIsFun17

i daisy chained the speakers and it all sounds great. now im interested in some 8 inch monitors. would that sound good in conjunction with the MR5's, or is it better to just use the 8 inches and the sub?