Where to begin?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by nirvan44, Feb 3, 2014.

1. nirvan44

nirvan44

Hi,

I have the following books and can read music, have reasonable good chord theory (trained as a pianist before playing the bass), but would like to learn how to improvise and slap. Please tell me which of the following books or book should I concentrate on?

1) Slap It; Funk Studies for the Electric Bass (Oppenheimer, Tony)

2) Power Tools for Bassists (Cockfield, Fred)

3) Improviser's Bass Method (Sher, Chuck)

4) The Complete Electric Bass Player (Rainey, Chuck)

Thanks for your help and inputs!

2. markjsmithbass

markjsmithbass Supporting Member

Slap It and the Improviser's Bass Method are both good books. The Ed Friedland books are also pretty good.

I've got a bunch of slap lessons over at talkingbass.net: http://www.talkingbass.net/lessonmap/

Also Scott Whitley is a great slap teacher and player: http://www.scott-whitley.com/index/

In terms of improvisation check out Scott Devine's improv lessons: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2D9EAEF7AF91AB61

Also check out some of Janek Gwizdala's and Tony Grey's lessons on Youtube. They both hold back a touch in order to pull you into the ecourses but they are some of the best bass players around so it's worth getting a glimpse into how they go about improvising.

Mark

3. JLP

JLP

I learned w/ Tony Oppenheims 'Slap It'. I suggest you follow his suggestions by using a click track or metronome starting as slow as you can set it and increase tempo 1 bpm after each time playing the riff. I did this and fairly quickly you'll have a good feel for the riff and play it nearly or as quickly as played on the cd. Be easy on your fingers though as I got blisters initianally w/o even realizing it. That said, I need a new book myself if any one could suggest one.
    I'm after a book w/ riffs like "Slap It". I don't need all of the beginner lessons,just a book of riffs. Also I play a 5 string so a book of slap riffs for a 5 string is what I'm after. Thanks for any help.

4. pfox14

pfox14

I found a good teacher to show me how to slap. I don't like books.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nirvan44

nirvan44

Thanks very much for the tips and the online teachers! Appreciate the help in this!

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

Don't discount videos by Dmanlamius and MarlowDK.

8. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

This is a great book for chords and other stuff :

[​IMG]