1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

where to buy cabinets for jbl k-140

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by icke2433, Dec 23, 2013.

1. icke2433

icke2433 Supporting Member

Hey guys, I have a pair of k-140s in my sunn 2000s cabinet and it kills. But with the band I'm in that kind of size just isn't realistic to lug around and our practice space is a bit on the small side. Where could I go to have two cabinets made for the k-140s? Or would it be better to just sell off the cabinet and find a different cab with different speakers. My current rig consists of an eleven rack and power amp, an ampeg 4x10hlf at 8 ohms, an ampeg svt cl and the 2000s at 4 ohms

2. rfslick

rfslick

I would use the 4-10 hlf and keep the 2-15 for larger gigs.

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    JBL K140's are still my favorite 15" (and have been ever since they came out).

Don Oatman at LDS (low down sound) is kind of a JBL freak too so he could certainly make some single 15" cabs for you. and his craftsmanship is top notch.

4. Grissle

Grissle

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    +1 on LDS. Don loves building cabs for the K140. I have also thrown K140's in all sorts of cabs, and they always sounded good.

7. nysbob

nysbob

If you have them built, I believe those specs will yield something similar to the old JBL cabaret cabs. I had mine built 20 years ago by a local company and they're still going strong.

8. bgavin

bgavin

OP, you are on the right track seeking a pair of cabs for your drivers.

At 15.5 pounds, the K140 is much lighter than the 22 pound E140.
    Two cabs are more expensive up front, but are more flexible and easier to move.

The cab size and tuning depend on your requirements.
    K140 Flat vs EBS

The JBL Enclosure Guide has no entry for the K140.
    The above EBS is close to the JBL recommendation of 4.0 / 40 Hz for the E-series.
    T/S are from JBL, chart is WinISD.

9. D.M.N.

D.M.N.

I built two 1x15s this summer by cutting the plans for a 2000s cab in half, and they work really well. They're currently loaded with E-140s because I couldn't get my hands on anymore Ks at the time.

10. nysbob

nysbob

I had a buddy build me the exact same thing back in '72! It was a world of improvement over my old Kustom 200 box.

11. icke2433

icke2433 Supporting Member

Thanks guys! I'll message LDS to see what they can do!