1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Where to find 4 pole speakon -> 1/4" cable? Stumped

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Mandobass, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Mandobass

Mandobass

Hey guys (and gals) - I recently picked up a Crown XLS1000 power amp and am looking to run it in bridged mono mode.

I can't for the life of me find where the heck to buy a simple 3 foot or 6 foot 4 pole speakon to 1/4".

I need to have this wired +1/+2 on the speakon end from what I understand. I'm assuming I will have to buy the cable as normal and modify, which shouldn't be a problem. My problem is I can't seem to find this cable to begin with. Everywhere seems to sell just 2 pole versions.

If there's any stores or custom cable makers you can recommend, please let me know.

My chain will be Rickenbacker 4003 with flats -> Sansamp RBI -> Crown XLS1000 -> Ampeg 2x15

Thanks all

2. Balog

Balog

Buy a 1/4-unwired, install your own?

3. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Markertek.com

4. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Or prolly Sweetwater could make it for you.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Don't run an amp bridged into a phone connector! It's dangerous both to you physically and to the amp itself. In bridge both the tip and the barrel are live with respect to ground. The tip and the barrel have twice that voltage between them and become a shock hazard.

Retrofit a 4 pole socket into the cabinet. It's a simple task to do.

7. bumperbass

bumperbass

^^ What him sayed.

8. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

+2 I strongly recommend this...

9. punchclock

punchclock

10. Mandobass

Mandobass

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I will look into retrofitting 2 speakon jacks to my trusty Ampeg 2x10 and 2x15 cabs.

Cheers

11. Mandobass

Mandobass

Follow up question: Do I need to get a specific speakon connector for the cab or will any standard speakon jack suffice? Thanks

12. bumperbass

bumperbass

13. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

EBay. Darn near anything you want or need is there.

14. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

And things you shouldn't need or want, but buy anyway? :D

15. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

A 4 Pole connector is not needed for the cab. Speakon makes 4 pole and 2 pole connectors so they mate with one another. The Amp will require a 4 pole connector if you want to use it in bridge mode but the cab end can be a 2 pole connector and save you a buck or two. A bridging cable will not work at all if connected backwards as the wiring is different on the two ends so it is not reversible.

I buy my parts and make my own cables it is VERY easy. Speakon cable ends do not require soldering just a knife and a small screwdriver. If making a cable is not inside your comfort zone you will likely need to have one made as a cable like you describe is not easy to find as it has very limited usefulness. Also the 4 pole end MUST go into the head and will not work properly unless connected this way. I made my own cable to run my SVT4Pro bridged and I used a 4 pole connector for the amp (has a metal release button--- always goes to the amp) and the 2 pole does not (always goes to the cab). I keep track of the difference by using 2 and 4 pole connectors and always putting the end with the metal button on it into the head.

I recommend:
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=092-190
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=092-058

The 2 pole connector on one end makes my cable easier to hook up properly as the ends are slightly different, that helps on dark stages.

16. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

If you are looking for a jack and dish for your cab look here:
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=092-059
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=262-036

4 pole connectors have the poles marked 1+, 1-, 2+, 2-
    2 pole connectors have the poles marked 1+, 1-

Most bridgeable amps need the 4 pole end wired 1+ and 2+ at the amp end to use bridged mode where the other end of a bridged cable is wired 1+, 1- (using the 2 pole or a 4 pole connector)

2 pole cable ends inserted into a 4 pole jack will make contact to the 1+ and 1- terminals (poles) only so a 4 pole connector will always fit into a 2 pole jack and vice-versa, however they will only connect 2 terminals (1+ and 1-). This is why you need a 4 pole for the bridged connection at the amp and not at the cab (the 2+ terminal is required at the amp for most bridged applications).

17. thumbknuckle

thumbknuckle

This isn't quite right.

A two pole plug will go in to a four pole jack, a four pole plug will not go in to a two pole jack.

18. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

oops, you're right sorry

There is still no need for a 4 pole jack or connector on a bass cab unless it is set-up for bi-amp operation.

EDIT: or all of your cables use 4 pole cable ends. waste of money IMO

19. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

Nothing in my entire MI gear collection (I own much of our bands PA) uses bi-amped cabs (PA uses separate powered tops and non-powered subs) so the only 4 pole cable end I own is connected to the bridged connector on my SVT 4Pro and it is a home made adapter that has a 4 pole cable end and a 2 pole jack on the other end. This way all of my Speakon cables are interchangeable (but different lengths) except the bridging adapter in the back of the bass amp. Everything else has 2 pole jacks and all my cables are 2 conductor with 2 pole cable ends. I modded my PA and bass cabs to go with Speakons several years ago and by using 2 pole Speakons it cost very near the same as it would of to just replace my 1/4" jacks and plugs (granted it took a bit more labor). I have a few 1/4" speaker cables for my monitor wedge but soon they will be converted to Speakon as well. (Just to streamline my gear bag and reduce the number of extras required for back-up purposes)

20. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I'm willing to spend the extra buck per connector/jack to have all my cables interchangeable between PA and bass cabinet use.

21. thumbknuckle

thumbknuckle

Or if you want it to be compatible with 95% of the speakon cables in use...