Where to find a specific body?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Kaibaboy, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Kaibaboy

Kaibaboy

Hi guys, not sure if I've posted this in the right section or not, if I haven't I apologise.

A while back I played an American Deluxe Active Jazz Bass, and it was beautiful. It had what seemed like a slightly scaled down body, and I loved the look and feel of it. Now I've been looking into building a custom Jazz Bass to my specs, but one thing I want is that body style. I'll link an image of the type of body I'm talking about, I think it's 2005: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/Fender_Jazz_Bass_American_Deluxe.JPG

So I'd really like to get a body in that shape. I've checked out Warmoth, USACG and a few others but no success. Any ideas?

2. bassteban

bassteban

IIRC Warmoth does- or at least did- a *dinky Jazz*... If they do not list it now you might look for one on the used market

3. pfox14

pfox14

Why not get a body directly from Fender or off eBay?

4. Rocky McD

Rocky McD Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    I also admire the Deluxe's scaled down body. The earlier American Deluxe's had a scaled down body with an extended upper horn and a 22 fret neck. I was unable to find a raw body or neck so I made my own from a body blank from Stuart MacDonald. Look at StuMac.com
    Rocky

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. johnson79

johnson79

7. pfox14

pfox14

It's StewMac.com not StuMac.

8. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I have a '93 American Standard "Boner" J (as Rocky McD mentioned) and a '93 Plus Deluxe J. They both had bodies that were specifically designed to work with the longer 22 fret necks. (like the maple one in the link you posted) The later American Deluxe series also had a 22 fret neck, so I imagine the body is the same as a Plus Deluxe (non-boner shape, more standard looking)

If it's just the size of the body, the Warmoth "Dinky" sounds like what you're after but you didn't mention the number of frets on the neck you are using. If the bodies are pre-drilled (bridge holes) you'll have to make sure it will be the correct location for the neck (20,21,22, 24?) you will be using. 20 & 21 are usually the same as 21 is most always a platform/extension. 22 & 24 will be longer necks.

9. Kaibaboy

Kaibaboy

Thanks for the responses!

That "boner" Jazz isn't what I'm after. It had the standard upper horn shape, but what appears to be a scooped lower horn? Its not the dinky either. Close, but it just doesn't look like the one I'm after. I'm definitely gonna go with 22 fret neck, that's why I'm looking for the smaller pick guard that goes with this style of bass. I'm just stumped on where to get the body made from. I don't have access to one to trace it to make my own, nor do I have any plans or blueprints. Bit puzzled to say the least

10. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    My 22 fret Plus Deluxe (non boner) arrives tomorrow. Once it's here I can trace the body and mark as close as possible pu, bridge and neck pocket location. (w/o taking it apart) If interested.