1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

Where to find flying V basses ? Vantage anyone ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soulgolem, Dec 7, 2012.

1. soulgolem

soulgolem

Hi everyone, I've been silently reading this forum for so long that when I tried login in, it wouldn't let me, I tried many passwords until I figured out the obvious... I never did register !! :rolleyes:

I'd like to know if anyone knows of a cheap way of getting a flying V bass, I've been looking for one in ads for a while, but even the epiphone ones don't show up in my area.

My friend has a blue Vantage V bass that would be my first pick If i could choose, but he won't sell it to me. Any other brands I should look for other than epiphone and vantage ? I would like the classic look as opposed to the more modern hard rock/metal looking ones.

Francis.

2. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Welcome long time lurker / first time poster!

Cool! My first bass was a blue Vantage Flying V. Sadly I sold it; the only instrument I ever sold.

Now, your question... I'm afraid you'll pretty much find used Vantages around. However, Gibson just re-released their Flying V (& Explorer, for that matter) basses. Last I checked, MF had them listed for $899.

3. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser

The obvious stop after TB and local contacts is here:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Flying V bass&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I got a no-name brand super cheapo($250) that required a lot of work(action, shielding, etc.) to be playable. It is all white with chrome hardware and "looks" better than it is. Plays OK, sounds OK. Then I got a used Hondo V($148 + $30 shipping) with the brass thru-body bridge and Dimarzios. The Hondo kills. Various bass forums that LOVE Gibson and EPi basses have pretty much indicated to me that the Epi and Gibson both are somewhat anemic(probably pickups). The do have set necks and mahogany wood which will affect tone. The Hondo does not have a mahog body, is bolt neck, decent P pickups, and the neck is maple although not the pointed normal Epi/Gib triangle shape.

If it plays good, sounds good, and looks good then it's a win for you and the audience IMO.

I would LOVE a Greco neck-thru V but have not had the $$$$ when I've spotted one. Here's are examples of those:
    http://forum.japanaxe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1552

Attached Files:

4. FileBass

FileBass

do flyinng V basses have neck dive? im just curious...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fathand

Fathand

If vintage isn't a must, check out Dean and their "metalman" series. They've also got a V - color options are on the modern side (can you say black?), but the shape leans towards the classic, more rounded V.

7. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Lots.

8. soulgolem

soulgolem

Wish you still had that V :)

Not a bad idea about getting a gibson, but I'm not sure I want to invest that much in a bass, I don't think I've ever bought a new instrument, but it's remarkably not too pricey for a gibson !

9. soulgolem

soulgolem

I saw the Dean V, didn't like the headstock, but I'm sure it's a nice player, I just don't feel like having wings on the headstock, I actually like the Hondo V headstock, it's kind of funny, that blue one I find pretty nice even though it's not a classic V shape, it has that obvious 80's look that's fun. I might go for that if it's the first thing I find.

[​IMG]

10. Nev375

Nev375

I've never owned one, but I guarantee that they do unless the body weighs 16 lbs. or more.

11. Psychbunny

Psychbunny

I have a Gibson Flying V and the head dive issue is there but not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. The sound is not "anemic" at all it is a tad muddy and is basically a T-bird set up so it sounds much like a T-bird. Short scale which I thought would be an issue but now I think that I prefer it.

Used Kramer Flying V's with alluminim neck go for 5-6 hundred and look pretty cool.

Used Epiphone Flying V's I have seen with case for 4 hundred.

Flying V's are not everyone's cup of tea but they are a blast to play and make you feel like a rockstar. My Jazz bass may be a "better" bass but I don't find myself smiling from ear to ear when I play it.

12. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

My old V was fun to play and I don't remember experiencing a lot of neckdive (and that was before I started wearing my basses high.) I remember it being a little awkward to play while sitting down. You have to wedge one of the wings between your legs.

If you didn't want to go full-blown Gibson, you could look into the Epiphone line. I just searched Flying V in the used Guitar Center site & used Epi Flying V's range from $249 to $399.
    http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm

13. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

I have one of the recent Gibson worn cherry V's. The neck dive isn't bad when standing up with a decent strap. I was able to get Musician's Friend to knock around $100 off the website price (even if a guitar is not covered under one of their regular sales, their reps seem pretty good about finding a way to approve a one-off discount).

14. soulgolem

soulgolem

Thanks for the tip on Guitar Center's used instruments, but they don't ship to Canada unfortunately, I guess I'll have to wait.