Where to find solid brass bridge saddles?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jeffwo, Jan 11, 2013.

1. jeffwo

jeffwo

I have a P Bass Deluxe that I bought here off a TBer that I love, it has the hi mass vintage bridge which is a nice thick piece of metal with nice grooves for the saddles screws, with the string-thru option. The only thing I am not crazy about are the partially threaded saddles - the strings sit up quite high on the ridges and just don't look like they're seated properly to me.

I just bought the James Johnston Squier Jazz Bass and absolutely love that thing, and it has a beefier bridge with solid brass saddles with a single wider groove milled into them. I've searched all over looking for those saddles and can't seem to find them anywhere - anyone have any ideas? I guess the Squier saddles would be the best fit but any brand will do.
  2. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Why don't you file the saddles that you have?

The strings are seated properly, unless they are moving around.
  3. jeffwo

jeffwo

That's one option and they're not moving, they just look like they could be better seated - haven't played that bass out much and afraid they might jump out of place or break, and I prefer the look of the brass ones.
  4. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jeffwo

jeffwo

Good one - I need to watch my grammar here!

$12 for the whole bridge??? Man I just may have to do that, those are the exact saddles I'm looking for.
  7. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Yeah, not getting the problem here: Except for you just not knowing. The contact point(s) transfer all the forces of the string wether they are pinhead sized or a quarter mile wide. There is a lot of force there.
  8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Willkinson bridges are very nice.
  9. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Yes, I have a black & brass one on my SQ VMJ but only for aesthetic reasons. For 12 bucks you can't go wrong but there is no mechanical reason for OP to drop the cash.
  10. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Those stock bridges are awesome. Your strings are seated well unless they move around. I use full threaded saddles on my P and have to use A LOT of force (much much much more than I would ever use while playing) to move them with the strings up to pitch, and those threads are much smaller than the ones on your bass.
  11. jeffwo

jeffwo

Oh man, here we go with the bridge debate again! I love the look of the brass saddles and have a Wilkinson on the way, I plan to swap the saddles. It's my bass and I'll do what I want with it!
  12. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Get I get an Amen?
  13. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Now add a brass nut and you're all set!
  14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

maybe a brass pickguard with a bunch of toggle switches in it ;)

the trouble with the single-groove saddles is that the spacing is usually wrong for your jazz pickups. (i wish they made them like tele saddles, with no groove at all, so you could file your own notch at the exact right spot for your bass like on a badass.)

the stock ones are brass and allow you to space the strings out right. the cheapie wilkies would be a step backwards, and may not even fit on the USA bridge.