Where To Get a Nut For 1965 Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by OldFenderPlayer, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Way back around 1980, the G-string slot on the nut of my 1965 Jazz Bass cracked and the string kept popping out. I took the repairman's advice and had a brass nut installed.

Now I want to go back to an original-type nut, but I don't know if the factory nut was bone, plastic, etc.

Does anyone know what type of material the original nut was made from?

Where can a get a replacement nut that best matches the original? I'll have a local shop cut and install it, but I want to purchase it myself.

The picture is of the bass as it is today - original except for the nut, the pots (which died one-by-one) and the bridge pickup was rewound by Lindy Fralin.

Attached Files:

2. Take it to trusted repairman, he will make a new one, probably from bone.
  3. Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Bone is the best replacement on a Fender, and also best when made from a blank so it is specific to your bass. The original was probably what Fender calls "synthetic bone" which is pretty much just plastic.
  4. Zootsuitbass

Mar 13, 2011
    Sweet ride! Yes, aside from "relic-ing" Bone is as period appropriate as you'll get.
  5. Sponsored by:

6. bass_case

bass_case Maintain low tones. Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Miami, FL
    I have a 65 neck as well and also had a brass nut added, in the 70s. Much to my surprise, I found the old one a few days ago in an old pickup box. Don't want to sell but can post a pic if it would help.
  7. bass_case

bass_case Maintain low tones. Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Miami, FL
    Oops, mine is a p-bass c neck, sorry
  8. Thanks Bass_Case. A photo would be good to see. Unfortunately, I didn't ask the repair shop to save the old nut for me. But at that time, the bass was only 15 years old and you still saw a lot of older Fender basses that people's primary instrument.
  9. lundborg

Apr 8, 2008
    I'd get a bone nut blank (from e.g. eBay) and use the brass nut for template.