1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Where to place EQ to compensate bass suck?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slipitin, Dec 2, 2013.

1. slipitin

slipitin

Quick question: eq before or after?

If I get an EQ pedal to compensate/sculpt tone of a stock cs-3 compressor. Do I try and add to the tone coming out of it, or feed it a compensated signal?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I've tried a modded Cs-3 which wasn't all that much of an improvement plus had a fault with it, the Maxon comp is too flat sounding to me so I'm going back to the stock cs-3 and trying this idea instead.

Appreciate your opinions.
  2. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    If you EQ before you compress you'll cause it to compress sooner so you'll have to adjust it.

If you want to correct a tone loss issue you'll have to put the EQ after the offender or at the end of your entire chain.

3rd option is to get a good compressor.
  3. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

^^^ Awesome answer.
  4. slipitin

slipitin

I'm glad it inspired awe for you.

It's a great answer, but it depends on what defines good don't you think?
  5. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

As opposed to a 'good' compressor, getting one you like is your best bet, rather than using one you believe to negatively affect your tone and trying to compensate with EQ. If there is a particular reason you want to keep the CS-3 then you should, as said previously, place an EQ after it.
  6. slipitin

slipitin

Yeah I agree, there's something about the singing top end I really like about the cs-3, have been unable to find a similar quality elsewhere.
  7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Here's my take on this problem. The reason the CS-3 has such a "singing" high end is the exact same reason it has a gutted low end: an extreme high ratio and low threshold. This radically caps off the big peaks of our low waves, making them sound weak by comparison to the high waves, even though the whole range is compressed the same.

Raising the threshold helps for better bass, but then you lose that singing top end.

The solution is dual-band compression. Give the lows only light to medium compression, and squash the bejeezus out of the highs.

Of course the only pedal that will do this for you is the FEA that costs like four times as much as a CS-3. You may be able to get similar effects using comps with sidechain filters such as the Taurus Tux or Daring Phat Beam, but they aren't easy to get ahold of for experimentation either.

The only other thing I can suggest is blending. Y the instrument signal; send one leg through an EQ to boost the bass and cut the highs; send the other leg through the CS-3; and recombine the legs with a mixer like the LS-2. Blending without adding EQ to the uncompressed channel will probably have disappointing results in this specific case.
  8. Robus

Robus

I have a CS-3 too. I've tried it on bass with some interesting results, but the bottom line is it's a guitar pedal, better at adding sustain to your lead guitar than sculpting a bass sound. On the other hand, if you like what you hear, use it. Try turning the sustain (threshold) nob way down, to 8:30-9:00. You might find a sweet spot there.

I'll buck the trend and say I'd put the EQ before, but it depends on what you are doing with the EQ. One of the ways I use it is to tighten up the bottom end by cutting out some of the boominess around 50 Hz. Since I'm cutting the signal at that frequency anyway, why would I want it triggering the compressor? So I cut it before compressing.

But if I were using the EQ to boost more than cut, I'd put it after the compressor. Why would I want to boost a frequency only to have the compressor squash it?

In your case, since you want to repair the damage that the compressor has done to your tone, put it after.
  9. jumblemind

I'm not always good at brevity, and I'm awed when I see it. I took "good compressor" to mean a pedal that's "competent at bass compression", not an attack on the sustain sounds that you find appealing in that pedal. If you dig the sustain more than the low end loss, throw the EQ after. It can be shaky ground, though, trying to add boost to a signal that isn't there to begin with; you could end up amplifying undesirable qualities you're trying to mask. Or it could sound just fine.
  10. slipitin

slipitin

Thanks guys, all very helpful, particularly the idea of splitting the signal.
  11. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

This is a slight de-rail but still good info. I am going to ask the same question for mid scoop...

If I have, say a BDDI, and I want to add mids, is it best to put an EWS BMC before or after the BDDI. Hypothetically speaking, the DI will not be used on the BDDI.
  12. jumblemind

The effect will be stronger if you put it after.