1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Where to put the effects pedals? In the fx loop or after the bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MattGreer, Nov 29, 2013.

1. MattGreer

MattGreer

Right now I just have a Markbass Compressore, the bass, and a Markbass LM III. Should I put the compressor in the effects loop, or between the bass and the head? How does one decide this? Is it another "let your ears be your guide" or is there a proper location?

Also, when I start adding effects, I'm looking at an octave pedal of some kind and a bass synth pedal. What are the pros/cons of putting them into the effects loop vs. in series after the bass guitar?

Thank you for your help!

-Matt
  2. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

The effects loop is between your preamp and the power section, so after the tone "flavoring" of your head. But effects loops aren't typically made for stomp type effects, as there's usually some volume drop, and pedals need to have enough power to drive the loop. Some pedals will sound fine, but my general rule of thumb that has always served me well (esp starting off) is to always put stomp effects between your bass and your amp. It's just more consistent that way.

This is especially true with Markbass amps. For whatever reason their effects loops blend the signal to 50%, so you only get half of whatever effects you put into them.
  3. MattGreer

MattGreer

Ahh, that's excellent information. Thank you!

-Matt