1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Where to shop for basses in Phoenix, AZ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chuck King, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

A friend's son is taking up bass. They live in Phoenix. I'm going out there next month to, among other things, help him shop for a decent bass and amp. Can anyone familiar with that local market recommend stores beyond GC where we might be able to find him a good deal on something cool? Someplace that will have a selection of used gear? We'll also be looking for a basic P.A. for his band.

Thanks!

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I was in Mesa in March, I went up to Tempe and hit up the Bass Place. Highly recommended, nice guys, small shop, cool stuff. You can view most of their stock online. I do not know what they offer for starter stuff, I was not looking for it, I wanted to see stuff I didn't see at home.

That is really the only place that got recommended when I asked on here before my trip. I just went to a handful of GC's to see what all the fuss was about. I did see some nice starter stuff there, the cheap Acoustic amps sucked but some of the bigger combos sounded decent.

3. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

I do not believe the Bass Place has had a footprint in Tempe for several years now. They moved everything out to Peoria. They are the most bass oriented shop in town; but no longer a convenient location.
    http://www.thebassplace.com/contact_us

Other than that, there are several Guitar Centers, Scottsdale being the best. Then, there is Brindley's down in Chandler; which I can not speak to because I've never been there.

4. goldenglory18

goldenglory18

Disclosures:
    Your Mom.
    You can always take a drive down to Tucson and hit up Rainbow Guitars. Some of the best gear around and it's locally owned. Great guys there.

Just know they have some funky hours. Closed Sun and Mon, and they shut their doors at 6 during the week and at 5 on Saturday...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. preside

preside

On Main st in Mesa is a place called M-Tronix. That is the shopfront, but inside is a guy who sells used only gear lots of stuff. PM me if you have further questions.

7. lowendmafia

lowendmafia KENNY WHEATON'S GONNA SCORE!!! Supporting Member

The Bass Place is in Peoria, they have a good selection and variety. There are like 4 or 5 GCs here but... well you know. Bizzarre Guitars is right downtown, they always have some cool stuff. Other than that, it is hit or miss. I do believe there is a Sam Ash, but I am not sure where it is located.

8. lowendmafia

Yes, The Guitar Collector... definitely some unique and cool vintage stuff in that shop.

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Whoops, I meant to put Peoria, thanks for the correction. I never knew they were in Tempe. It is all in the greater metropolitan area of Phoenix though, so it is within a reasonable drive time.

10. lowendmafia

Lol...

11. bucephylus

+1 Relatively speaking.

12. bucephylus

I guess I should add Milano Music across the street from M-tronics in Mesa. Last I was at M-tronics, they (M-tronics) mostly have some used stuff; varying (hit and miss) quality. Milanos is more your old school music store, decent inventory, close to list prices.

13. GM60466

GM60466

Chicago Music Exchange. They ship anywhere in the USA

14. evermelon

evermelon Supporting Member

The Bass Place is the place for sure for real nice upscale gear (won't find a Squier or Ibanez in sight). M-Troniks has an impressive selection of used gear, stuff you won't find at a GC. Sam Ash has a large store in Phoenix and the guys are real nice and will strike a deal with you. There's this cool place, McKnight Guitars in Chandler that had an nice selection of used gear too. And as mentioned above, Rainbow guitars in Tucson is pretty cool.

15. og61pbass

og61pbass

theres a SamAsh Music center on Cactus in North Phoenix and several guitar centers thruohout,since he is a beginner I would stay away from Bass Place thats a high end bass store with really nice gear,unless he wants to start out with great gear,just saying...:)

16. AndrewM

AndrewM

I have only been there once since I moved to Tucson for college, and they made a somewhat negative impact on me. Please don't write them off just because of this though, as this might just be in my head and I haven't been there enough times to give a true review of the store.

I felt as though my presence wasn't very welcome. I was looking at a nice P Bass (I believe it was from the 70's) that had a fairly large price tag. I did not touch the bass, just looked at it. Nearby were several other expensive basses as well. An employee came up to me and asked if I had seen the other areas of the store, and something about the way they said this made me me feel like he was anxious/nervous due to me looking at/being near high-value instruments. I walked over to a different section of the store and I was looking at a nice Musicman Sterling when I noticed a different employee was looking at me. I said hello to him, and he just nodded. He did not ask if I needed help finding anything, or if I was interested in any specific product. I felt more like he was "keeping an eye on me" rather than viewing me as a legitimate possible customer.

I can't say I blame them entirely, though. Tucson is a college town so I'm sure they get a lot of rowdy college kids in there that do dumb stuff and create a bad reputation for themselves.

17. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Hi, just checking back in to thank everyone for your suggestions and information! I will plan accordingly!