Where to Start?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ben23c, Dec 15, 2013.

1. ben23c

ben23c

So I'm nearing the end of my high-school career, and after months of putting off deciding what I want to do for a living, I've decided that investing my time into a marketable trade such as becoming a luthier would be a good idea.

That being said, I have no clue where to start. Sure, I have the internet to learn a few things, but how do I begin marketing myself? Do you guys have any valuable information that could get me started? Any good books that will teach me the basics? Would taking a woodworking class at my community college be beneficial?

If there's such a thing as a stupid question, I'm sure these would make the grade, and I apologize for that. If nothing else, maybe you guys could tell me how you started? Thanks.
  2. MIMike

MIMike

Do it right and learn from a pro. Get a job working for a luthier that has a reputation as a good builder and/or teacher. There are schools for this as well, such as the link below;
    http://www.galloupguitars.com/school.htm

Then, after you have some experience and cred, you start marketing yourself.
  3. ben23c

ben23c

Well it's awfully convenient that they have a location in Michigan! Thanks a lot.