1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Where to Start?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ben23c, Dec 15, 2013.

1. ben23c

ben23c

So I'm nearing the end of my high-school career, and after months of putting off deciding what I want to do for a living, I've decided that investing my time into a marketable trade such as becoming a luthier would be a good idea.

That being said, I have no clue where to start. Sure, I have the internet to learn a few things, but how do I begin marketing myself? Do you guys have any valuable information that could get me started? Any good books that will teach me the basics? Would taking a woodworking class at my community college be beneficial?

If there's such a thing as a stupid question, I'm sure these would make the grade, and I apologize for that. If nothing else, maybe you guys could tell me how you started? Thanks.

2. MIMike

MIMike

Do it right and learn from a pro. Get a job working for a luthier that has a reputation as a good builder and/or teacher. There are schools for this as well, such as the link below;
    http://www.galloupguitars.com/school.htm

Then, after you have some experience and cred, you start marketing yourself.

3. ben23c

ben23c

Well it's awfully convenient that they have a location in Michigan! Thanks a lot.