1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

where was my fender Bass made?

Discussion in 'Ask Adam Nitti' started by tjs7antiques, Jun 18, 2012.

1. tjs7antiques

tjs7antiques

I have purchased a vintage Bass, i suspect MIJ, I have just viewed a website with many many japan makers whoa, i didnt know there were so many, my fender p-Bass has the pick up and bridge of a 51-57 model, finish is sunburst, the pots have the ohm ratings on them stamped on the back in ink 'A250K and B5OOK the neck pocket has a #2 written in black marker, there is no serial number on the neck or neck plate/cover, the headstock has the decal "summit" and there is an unusualy large chrome truss rod cover about 1 1/2 wide and 2 1/4 length, inside the body where the electronics fit in there is a creme or beige overspray, maybe someone has refinished this to sunburst? the pick guard is a dark brown marbelized look
    so i have heard some MIJ fender basses more rare and valuable than USA,? or not, I have a question about the pots, is there numbers on the frontside where the stem is?
    This bass really has be baffeled, if you email me tjs7antiques@aol.com i can send pics to help identify it, thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

To be clear off the top, this isn't a "Fender" bass but a pretty poor-looking knock-off. A good start would be some disassembly (pickguard, neck, etc.) to look for labels that might help.
  3. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

I'm not sure where you're Fender bass was made, but the bass pictured was probably made in Japan...
  4. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

That's not a Fender, it's an Offender.
  5. tjs7antiques

tjs7antiques

6. spaz21387

spaz21387

fender never put lipstick pickups in their basses. the headstock is shaped wrong. Fenders dont have a truss rod cover. The tuners are too small. The upper horn looks too long... Theres alot of things that make this bass not look like a fender. Its some kind of japanese copy... I wouldnt pay more than 200$ for that bass.
  7. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The headstock is wrong, amongst other things, it really doesn't look like a Fender. Can you take off the pickguard and take a picture of it's guts? If that lipstick isn't routed in, and put through a custom slotted pickguard it %100 isn't a Fender.

Nobody is saying your bass isn't rare, it very well could be, that does not make it special or expensive. It can still be special to you though, sentimental value has no cost.

I am going to disagree with spaz though, I wouldn't pay more than $100 for that monstrosity. The way that string tree looks I can imagine how it plays.
  9. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

You enjoy that rare and special Offender bass then, antique themed screen name person.
    No one on TalkBass knows anything about Fender basses, so best to ignore them. Especially since your bass is a SUMMIT! It says so right on the headstock.

Out of curiosity, how much did you pay? Hmmm?
  10. Handyman

Handyman Supporting Member

Helpful hint: Fender basses don't say "Summit" on the headstock.
  11. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

I have a MIJ bass too that I have no idea what it is.
    It has the same truss cover as yours no maybe they
    are made by the same manufacturer.

The headstock on mine was originally painted to match
    the body but I sanded it down and but my own logo on it.

[​IMG]

Mine is also a jazz. I had to fix it up a bit but she is now
    my one and only unknown.

[​IMG]

This is what it looked like when I got it. There were no
    markings anywhere. The only reason I know it is Japanese
    is because it says Made in Japan but that's it. Oh another
    weird thing is that it had a HOFNER style pickup in the
    bridge position. I have no Idea what was in the neck position
    but it has big. look at the route. It also seems that someone
    tried to route it out even more.

[​IMG]
  12. Waterpilot

Waterpilot

This thread is so full of win. No one has even mentioned the section it was posted in yet.
  13. braud357

braud357

Iff you try to look at the pictures - they are labeled "Godin Summit". Perhaps that is what it is. I think that we are being "trolled" !!
  14. cccy

cccy

LOL
  15. tjs7antiques

tjs7antiques

what an entertaining experience this was, i knew it wasnt a fender, but i did not know about MIJs, and the numerous factories in asia, the lipstick pickup is routed in as one post asks me to look for, it is not a godin,
    i have a peavey bass also thats supposed to be a prototype, may post it next week and you guys can rip that one to pieces if you like
  16. Handyman

Handyman Supporting Member

You might be able to understand the confusion, as your posts referred to the bass as a Fender repeatedly.
  17. spaz21387

spaz21387

looks like we got someone else to rage quit tb!
  18. tjs7antiques

tjs7antiques

hey frankenstein, im not here to play with word technicalities, excuse me, would you like me to get an english major so i can anaylize every word someone speaks rather than understanding what they are trying to say and offering some advise? i know what it is now as a man from spain has identified "IT" correctly, i thank everyone for their help, maybe ill post my peavey T-40 prototype and see all the fun with that one
  19. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

Dude, lighten up.
    People tried to help you out by correcting your apparent misapprehension that your bass was a Fender so you would be better informed, and perhaps not be ripped off, and you jumped down their throats. Not cool.
  20. gigslut

gigslut

You don't need a diploma to understand that "Fender" and "NOT a Fender" don't mean the same thing. It's more than a "technicality".

Your bass is a most likely a late '60s/early '70s Greco product.