Where'd Mark Ong go?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Kwesi, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

He had a Youtube channel under the name 'MusicianMarkOng'. There are plenty of bassists in the world whom I love but this guy... as far bassists that I look up to, is number one, no question. Absolutely stunning musician in every sense of the world. He's pretty much what I want to become one day. I don't know what happened but at some point he closed his youtube account and it killed me. Makes me wish I snagged his videos while I had the chance.

Anyway, I got to thinking that I'd make a personal appeal of sorts or at least ask him why he closed his account (Youtube NEEDS musicians like him) but I can't find ANYTHING on this guy. He's in a few Youtube vids the Steffen Brix trio (great stuff) but I can't find anything else. You'd think that Google would have something on this guy considering how monstrously talented he is but it's got squat. I sent an email to Steffen in hopes that he'll be able to help me out so we'll see but any other info would be great.
  2. Mike M.

Mike M.

Oh jeez.....that guy's playing is downright scary!! I came across him by accident about 6 months ago and was just floored by what he can do. Glad to see that someone else here found and appreciated that man.

I was looking for him too just lately and couldn't find him on You Tube either.

If I remember right, I read somewhere on his page where someone from England was practically begging him to come over, to which he replied (words to the effect of) that he was planning on it in a few months time. So just maybe he closed shop for a while and is working in England.

That man deserves to be known!!
  3. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

Yeah, man I hope he comes out of hiding eventually!
  4. jfv

jfv

I enjoyed his Youtube stuff also, just had a beautiful
    feel going. In the clips with Brix he doesn't sound the same,
    those are in 2010, I don't remember the dates in his channel.

I also noticed that the latest upload by Brix is with a
    different bass player :bawl:

If anyone knows or learns anything I'd be curious also!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

I also was sad that he closed his YT account. He did it in steps, first taking down some of the alternate takes.

Hope he comes back into view, but maybe he's one of those wonderfully talented players who enjoy hunkering down with their music rather than getting it out there. I know a few of those.
  7. Denton_bass

Denton_bass

Hi guys,

did anybody get news about Mark? I'm so sad like you. I love his tone with his Sadowsky and Lakland basses. I tried to find the videos of his pre-youtube channel, but there is only one from the old ones:

Any news? :)
  8. Jaybasslive

Jaybasslive

I miss markong! I believe he was known as mark bozo!?? He really inspired me as well ! Incredible bassist.. I believe he had 2 songs on iTunes ! Does anyone recall this? I would like to know under what name I can search him on..

Once I asked him what scales he used on one of his videos and this is what he told me: (hope it's useful for all)
    Hey there
    i'm glad your inspired!!! that was the point with these videos...
    anyways i use 6 note chord/scales meaning i play using a 6 note scale that is the chord also... try with a c major 7 note scale and try taking out the f or the b... then try all the other scales you now... thats it.. very simple but it sounds better in my ears. maybe yours too... give it a try and write back if you get time and are still inspired... good luck!!!
    Mark..
    ps i've sold my laklands... now i own only that sadowsky bass :) i needed the money and a friend needed the lakland...
  9. steffenbrix

steffenbrix

Hi Steffen Brix here....

Mark Ong is alive and well - and he is still the most incredible bass player of all time. We're playing together this summer in Copenhagen and Aarhus - Denmark. In july. There are also recent clips of us in Copenhagen if you search You Tube for "Rain Of Fire (feat Mark Ong)"

Best - Steff
  10. Mike M.

Mike M.

Glad to hear he's doing good!! Mark is definatley one of the best out there.