1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

Where's the Status Love?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SidMau, Sep 26, 2013.

1. SidMau

SidMau

Sep 3, 2012
    It seems these are some of the least mentioned basses here... I certainly don't hear about them much. I have a fantastic fretless smart bass that I love to death. Anyone else here love their Statii?

2. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    No, I sold mine. :D

3. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    too rich for me these days

4. I had a Kingbass and I loved it, but the short horn body made it a bear to balance comfortably so I had to let it go. Otherwise it was killer in every respect.

If I ever get another it would have to be a full size body.

5. Sponsored by:

6. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I had an S2 that balanced perfectly on a strap. It was a really nice bass but, ultimately, not my thing. But tonal preferences aside, Rob Green definitely makes great basses.

7. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    They are a Brit thing. Like other Brit things (e.g. playing with a pick, dubstep, and dogging) they are not for everyone. Only us Brits.

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'd love to have an S2 or a King but I don't see either of those happening any time soon.

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'd love to have one! A headless Green Stealth 5 fretless! Mmmmmmm!

Attached Files:

10. WillInDenver

WillInDenver An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Flashy basses and flashy bass players are out of fashion right now. All the kids are playing P-Basses and T-Birds. (I guess T-Birds are flashy in their way.) For better or worse, I associate Status basses with Mark King in particular and slap playing in general, and I don't think that carries a brand these days.

Sadly.

11. WillInDenver

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    The more recent version of the Kingbass does though, no?

[​IMG]

12. kvnjcbsn93

kvnjcbsn93

May 21, 2011
    Sacramento, CA
    I've loved the ones I've played. A s2 headless fretted and fretless 6 are on top of my gas list. But the fretless will probably never happen since rob doesn't do graphite fretboards.

13. Looks a little longer, but it's hard to tell whether it'd be long enough to approximate a Fender location.

Besides, it's too late now and I'm not in the market for anything.

This was mine:
    [​IMG]

As far as image - I put no stock in that at all. A world class bass that suits me will appeal to me, and I don't really care what the look projects to others. If it balanced right for me I'd still have it. It sounded amazing, Mark King notwithstanding - I don't slap at all.

14. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I would trade for one in a minute if the opportunity presented itself.

15. rockosocko

rockosocko Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I owned a six string Energy for a while; the tone didn't do it for me so I ended up selling it.

16. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Loved the overall design & construction but the Hypereactive pups and elex were a bit overwhelming for any of my projects.

Riis

17. I've got a status empathy that is stunning, both in tone and playability. It's my favorite bass, and I'd say it's as good as any bass out there, I wouldn't trade it for any other bass out there , including Ritter or Fodera. And it sounds superb in the studio. We status owners all know just how amazing these basses are, it's our little secret :)

18. philtoler

philtoler

Dec 3, 2009
    I cannot say enough good things about my Status Streamline. I saved up my whole life for one and it was worth every British penny!

19. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Rob makes my absolute favorite necks. My two primary basses have Status Jazz necks on them, and I just picked up a used Stingray at a scary low price that will be receiving a Status Stingray neck.

20. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    The neck on my S2 was one of the most comfortable I've ever played.

21. WillInDenver

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I certainly didn't mean to suggest that a player has to slap to own a Status bass - but I do think Mark King has had a lot to do with Rob Green's success, and in the aggregate people probably think of a Status as a slapping bass brand. And, sadly, the kids don't much slap these days.