1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which 210 cab - Carvin BRX10.2 or Avitar B210 or Acme Low b-2?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lawjazz1, Sep 14, 2013.

1. lawjazz1

lawjazz1

I am looking at a new rig centered around the Carvin BX1500 amp. I like the two amps with the ability to use both at full range or high/low. In another thread, the point was made that the most versatile rig would be to have matching cabs rather than a 210 on top and 115 or 118 on the bottom. This makes sense to me. The BRX 10.2 seems to have the lowest freq. response - does this matter in the real world? Also, Avatar doesn't have a trial period so I need to know what everyone thinks. What about Acme Low B-2? I play classic rock on elec. bass but also one 210 will be used for upright double bass in jazz and other acoustic groups.
  2. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

FWIW, the Carvin cab and amp are 'made for each other', so to speak. Both are excellent. My guess is that they used each model for design and testing of the other.

I owned a BRX10.2 and used it with a BX1200 amp for a project where I played a 5 string EUB and it sounded great. To this day I don't understand why I sold that cab.
  3. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

First off I love Avatar gear but the Carvin is so much better.
    I had 2 of these and used one for the small gigs and put them together for the bigger ones.
    The Carvin seemed to handle the low end better than the Avatar and seemed more musical. Avatar IMO had more upper mids but if thats what you want then thats what you want.
  4. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

FWIW, I've been using a Redline series 2x10 Carvin cab for almost 20 years. It sounds good, has given me no problems, is pretty light, and has been a solid bang-for-your-buck investment. I'm sure the BRX series will be even better.

Thank you for your indulgnce,

BassCliff
  5. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Do you already own the BX1500?

The two 210's out there that I would look at are the ACME B2, or the greenboy fEARless F210.
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I own four Acme B2 cabinets. I find that a vertical stack of two does everything I need. A BX1500 is my #2 amplifier head while my go to is a tube ore-amp I built driving a DCM1000L power amp. I run one 4Ω cabinet on each channel.
  7. lawjazz1

lawjazz1

I do not already own the BX 1500.
  8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

The older Carvin cabs ( RL) weren't bad. I used them for years. The replacement drivers for these cabs from Carvin are junk however. I wasted enough money on them to conclude that the new Chinese sourced Carvin speakers suck.

Obviously not everyone shares my opinion. Nevertheless, not one dime of my money ever goes on a Carvin cab again. In fact I have 2 different 410 Carvin cabs ( One RL and One BR), each with one blown driver and I am not even willing to spend the $70 on either of them to get them into sellable condition. They can sit over in the corner and rot as far as I'm concerned.
  9. lawjazz1

lawjazz1

Any idea why the Acme B2 costs so much more than the Carvin or the Avatar?
  10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Yeah. The Acme is a unique, one-of-a-kind design for a highly-engineered cab that will perform like nothing else on the market.

How's that?

MM
  11. Alex1984

Alex1984

I'd choose the ACME. Seems like a very unique cab with a good low end response. With the amount of power available on tap on your head, you should be able to compensate for the lower sensitivity of that cab.
  12. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

When I look at the Carvin BX1500, the cabs that scream out at me are the ACME Full Range (12" 2-way), sitting atop an ACME Flat Wound (12" sub). This makes the most out of a head that's was designed to run in Dual Mono or Bi-amp mode and gives you ultimate flexibility.

That being said the B2 is killer and two of them is killer-er.

:D
  13. 5port

5port

My main "Big gig" rig is my BX1500 with the Carvin 10.2 over a 1X15 each driven with their own amp in full range. In small bars I use just one side driving the 10.2. Have been very happy with this set-up. The BRX10.2 on its own is full sounding (I use it vertical on its own).