Which 212 cab to match a TC Electronic RH750?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Papersen, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Papersen

Papersen Gold Supporting Member

I truly love this amp and used to own a RS210 to match it.
    Although the cab was very good, left me wanting a bit more low end extension.

I´ve recently decided that I´ll follow the 2x12 route.
    I´m basically looking for light cab to play in a rock context.

What I want?
    - Well defined low mids and hi mids
    - Extended but no boomy low end.
    - Present but not sizzly highs
    - Light weight

Initially I considered the TC RS212 but seems to a be bit bulky.

Based on several searches and recommendations, I´ve narrowed the search to (from cheaper to more expensive)

GK Neo 212II

Cheaper option, but concerned about being too sizzly.

Genz Benz Neox
    A bit more expensive, but now that they have 3 different versions, I´m a bit confused

Bergantino AE212
    Always keep reading great reviews about it but don´t know if will fit my tone goals

Bergantino CN212
    Newest line, great reviews also, but again, don´t know if I´ll get the sound I´m looking for.

I´ve received a lot of useful info/reviews but still can´t decide. Any additional info based on experience will be appreciated.

PS: please don´t suggest me another cab since will add more confusion :)

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The nice thing is you can use up to three 8 Ohm cabs with your amp. The best suggestion is to go play through the cabs you listed with your amp and your bass. Your ears will pick the cab for you. One nice consideration is that you dont really have to worry about over powering a cab with the RH750, you just have to find the right tonal mix.

3. Papersen

My main problem is that I´ve no chance to test those cabs locally (I live outside the US), so I´ll make my decision purely based on reviews and recommendations.

Thanks.

4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    *shrug* its like asking what you should eat for lunch. I dont like pickles, so telling you to eat a sandwich with out might not be what you want. I think one of the biggest concerns will be finding the right balance of low end. The RH line is very tapered in the lows and highs, lots more mid range. You will need a cab that pairs with that, and gives you the response that sounds right to your ear.

If I was in your shoes, I would be building some TL-606 cabs in 1/2" ply with bracing, dump some very efficient 15 in there.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KJung

KJung

I have not played the Genz NeoXII yet (the current version), but it is a great cab with the tone profile you are talking about, and would work quite well with the RH750... punchy, warm, loud based on my experience with the previous version and reports that the new one is 'tonally similar'. (edit: Kind of awkward handle design/schlep IMO).

The GK212 is 'great for the price' and actually 'good' in an absolute sense (from my GTG experience with it).. Sizzly up top and not as robust down low as these others. However, it is one of those 'you get 75% of the performance of these others for 50% of the price', so pretty impressive.

AE212... NOT a good match with the RH750 IMO and IME, and no longer on the market anyway. Big down low, even in the low mids, very smooth in the upper mids, a bit hi fi up top. GREAT cab, but not really in the tonal direction you are looking for.

CN212 :D Round, fat down low, present in the mids, present but not sizzly up top, 46 pounds, about the same price as the Genz I think. IF you want to spend the dollars, it would be a nobrainer with that particular head. If you are very budget limited, the GK would not suck at all.

IMO and IME!

Edit: FYI, I am a BIG fan of the RS210, so I understand what you are trying to do. The CN212 definitely has more going on in the upper mids than the very mid-mid present RS210, but with the massive EQ capability of the RH750, I think either the Genz or the CN212 will sound amazing, and you could get either to sound like a 'louder/deeper' RS210 without a lot of trouble (and again, the GK wouldn't suck if you are nervous about spending the big bucks).

7. KJung

KJung

8. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Although there was no suggestion that the op was planning to use three cabs, it's probably worth noting that wouldn't be the case without knowing the actual impedance of the nominal 8 ohm cabinet in question. TCE says you can use three RS cabinets, not that the amp is stable to 2.67 ohms. Three RS cabinets are ~3.5 ohms. An example of where that could go wrong, two Mesa 212s would be ~3.5 ohms. [DEL]Two[/DEL] Three would be 2.3 ohms.

9. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

Bergantino AE212. One for sale in classifieds now where the seller is practically giving this away. Jump on it NOW. Incredible cabinet.

Well, I see that Ken has chimed in above me. Go with his recommendation - he's ABed these.

10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If you liked how the RS2x10 why not try the RS2x12?

11. Papersen

Well, I haven´t tested it but read that it´s a bit bulky to transport. Nothing wrong with it just trying to find my best option.

12. Musicman20

Musicman20

I love the RS210s. Brilliant cab for the price/size/weight. Punchy with a nice coax tweeter :)

I also like the Aguilar DB212.

My next cab will more than likely be the Berg CN212...

The RS212s are great for the price, and not too bad to schlep.

13. drpepper

I've had both RS210 and RS212, and it is deeper, so it's simply not as easy to manage, but in relative terms, the difference really is not that great. It can still be a one-hand carry.

I think what you're going to find is that the internal volume of these cabinets is in the same rough ballpark, with the RS being the smallest. The RS210 and RS212 are the same height and width. It gets its extra volume completely from depth. The RS212 is *similar* in dimensions to the GK, facing sideways 24Hx24Wx16D vs 26Hx14Wx20D. Similar to the Berg 31Hx19Wx15D. Biggest trade-off is in depth.

14. badboyb

badboyb

I play a RH450 through the GB Neox 212...it is a very nice match.
    Loud, and punchy while still having a nice fatness and warmth to it.

15. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

I have an RH750 and an RS212. I was dubious at first but I took the plunge and bought one. I love it. It has all the sonic qualities you're looking for and in fact I think it is less bulky than most. It also has a terrifically small footprint on stage and looks cool too. And it's got one of the best bang-for-buck factors out there. I say give it a chance--look for a used one and if you don't like it, sell it and you won't have lost anything.

Tom

16. drpepper

Damn...I sold my remaining RS212 not too long ago. I want it back now...Dammit! :crying:

17. BrickBatMansion

BrickBatMansion

I read somewhere that the rs cabs are really 11ohms. Thats why you can run 3 of them (making approx 4ohms).i have run a 212+210+210 thru an rh450 (out door amphitheatre) and it was beyond loud. Played 90min and it didnt faze the amp. That was a year ago. The 450 is still rockin hard. TC heads work well with TC cabs for a reason.

18. Daniel Piper

Daniel Piper Supporting Member

I reckon the rs cabs.

I run my classic450 with a GK neo 212-ii and like it. All the (decent) clips I have heard of the rs210 and rs212 really seem to bring out the complex mids of the rh heads better though.

The rh450 isn't a deep or top end machine, so I say play to its strengths.

19. drpepper

Yes. They are ~10.5 ohms. "4 ohms" and "8 ohms" as listed on various cabinets are nominal ratings, not measurements. Measured impedance, which is information that seems to be pretty hard to come by in any casual way, is usually not going to be exactly 4 or 8 ohms. Measured impedance below or above the nominal impedance will have different implications. In the case of the RH, the importance is that TCE does not say that the RH heads supports any three 8 ohm cabinets. Since they know that three RS cabs are ~3.5 ohms, and they know what's safe for the head, they can specify 3 RS cabinets can be used. They don't claim to know the specs of other brands. Three cabinets labeled "8 ohm" that test at ~6.5 ohms would mean less that 2.2 ohms...on a head that safe at 3.5, that could be trouble.

20. Papersen

Thanks for all the input.
    Maybe I'll put the RS212 back into the list.

21. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Not sure if I read this right ...but

If you already own a Rs212 then i would match it with another
    RS212 so you are using matching drivers.

otherwise out of the list the only one using decent drivers/ speakers is the Genz benz Neo X.

expensive but actually worth the money
    I believe the highly recommended version is the NeoX 212T

likewise I have seen older versions covered in carpet and newer versions covered in vinyl with different hardware. So not sure about the others.