1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which 5er for a Modern Country band?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kjpollo, Dec 27, 2012.

1. kjpollo

kjpollo Supporting Member

Out of the blue I find myself out of the classic rock band I've been with for 3 years and into a brand new modern country band.

It seems to me like a 5er is pretty much required equipment for this kind of work. Fortunately I have my 20 yr old Carvin LB 75 so I have a main instrument but now I'm looking for a backup and 2 models keep coming to mind: a G&L L2500 Trib and a Peavey TL-5. I already have an L2K Trib so I'm pretty sure I know what I'd get from the G&L. But my Peavey experiences have been limited to a couple of vintage passive basses- the T40 and T20.
    My budget is going to be between $3-500 so let me know what you think of these 2 options or if there's another good choice I'm just plain missing here.

And a couple of other things you should know, I'm not partial when it comes to bolt-on or neck thru, and I dont have a preference when it comes to maple or rosewood boards.

Thanks guys-let me know your opnions!
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

When I was playing modern country and blues, I had great luck with a used Lakland 55-01. The going rate is a little higher, but you can often find a used one for $500. It will be longer scale (35" vs. 34") and wider spacing than your Carvin, though.
  3. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

4. MysticMichael

MysticMichael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

A Lakland Bob Glaub five-string would be ideal. Not sure whether you can get even a used one for anywhere close to $500 though... :meh:

MM
  5. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Fender P5
  6. hodgy

hodgy

Disclosures:
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    That's exactly what I use when I'm playing country.
  7. millsbass5

millsbass5

I sure know one thing, and I'll argue it 'til my last puff of air, that is if your're after "that" sound. If so, active electronics are just about a must when it comes to new/modern country. Hell, with your budget, you already have one of the basses that fits the bill best. That Carvin, hands down. Hey,if it ain't broke.... Or, a Peavey Dyna Bass or a TL5 would fit the bill nicely. Another idea is to find you a really nice passive bass and buy a Sadowsky preamp pedal, or something similar. But, when it comes down to it, the choices are endless.
  8. onosson

onosson

I'll stick this link here to a thread I started back in the summer ... it's full of comments and suggestions.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/if-you-were-buying-bass-play-modern-country-874979/

Long story short, I didn't end up following through with the gig - but I did pick up a bass (after the fact) that probably would work nicely. It's a Sterling by MusicMan Ray35 in natural finish. Plays really nice, versatile tone with the active eq and 3-way pickup switch, and not expensive at all, especially if you find one on the used market as I did.

She looks just like this: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/images/images_list_19_363_36998_2.jpg
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Lakland 55-94 or 55-02.
  10. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Hartke Amplification
    I have a TL-Five and think you'd do alright with one. It has SC p/u's in the 70's position and cops the jazz bass tone quite well. I bought mine for $500 not too long ago. You can go between passive or active and the ebony fb really adds some sizzle up top.
  11. domdec314

domdec314 Supporting Member

I use a L2500 Tribute with my modern country band. It gets all the sounds I need. I love the sound of the Super Ferrite pickups in my brother's four string Peavey Foundation and have always wanted to get either a 5 string Foundation or a TL-5. The Peavey's from that era are great.
  12. Luckydog

Luckydog

I know you're looking for a five, but just want you to know that I've been doing *tons* of modern country in the last 5 years with my 4 string Sadowskys- a PJ and a Jazz. They both have D tuners and work just great.
  13. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

I personally like the tone of 2 jazz pick ups for new Country.. what ever bass they come in..
  14. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Modern country 5 string for $3-500?

Used Sterling by Musicman Ray35, or a new SUB Ray5.
  15. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

His budget is $3-500. That bass is 5X his budget.
  16. tomydacat

3- 500 try rondomusic.com
  17. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

I would look for a used Fender Jazz 5 MIM. I have one that just kills on the B string. Don't know if it is the bridge or what that makes it better but I have never had a Fender with a better B string, my Precision MIA 5 er included.
    The bridge has two screws up by the bridge pickup. Very un Fender like. If it weighed a little less it would be my go to bass.
  18. tomydacat

or Schecter diamond series P or J bass
  19. tomydacat

20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Pretty much any 5 string bass with an active preamp will work.