Which amp? Gallien Krueger RB1001-IV or MB800?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassistkm82, Jan 16, 2014.

1. bassistkm82

bassistkm82

I am currently playing a Warwick Thumb BO 4 into a GK 400RB (series 1 or 2) through a pair of Peavey 410TX cabs. I really like the sound I'm getting out of this setup, but, I'm looking for more power/headroom as I'm running the 400 at almost 3/4 volume. So, I've been looking at either the rb-1001 (current series (700w) or the MB800 (800w), there is more flexibility in tones in the RB, but the MB has more power... Cost is not a factor as they are relatively close in price. Durability is a factor though. What do you guys thing about both amps and what would be the recommendations?
  2. strummer

strummer

I'll vote for the RB1001, although the MB800 is one of the best sounding calss D amps out there. The RB is bulletproof, great sounding, long time proven and cheaper too:)
  3. David Jayne

David Jayne

The RB series is much closer in tone to what you've got now than the MB series is.
  4. WingKL

WingKL

Did you miss this thread? I don't think GK has a mark IV for the 1001RB. 1001RB-II is the current model. If you like the sound of the 400RB and you're not actually running out of headroom yet, there isn't a real need to upgrade. In fact going up in power will probably make it harder to get that classic GK growl and the MB series won't even do that.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

I have a Warwick Thumb BO 6 Broadneck.
    The bass alone has a killer tone.

If you love the growl and mids of your 400RB, and just want more headroom, the 700RB amp will be the better option. The bonus part is a contour knob, presence knob, plus Direct out for PA or FOH.

If you are not worried about the growl, and just want more headroom, the 1001RB-II amp is perfect. Gives you more headroom to be nice and thick for R&B. You will probably reach 50% of the amps volume before needing more in a live situation, I could be wrong though.

The MB series amps are great sounding and back savers, they seem to get deeper and smoother. Also, the Micro Bass amps in general are fairly new, the RB amps have been tried and true as far as reliability and durability.