1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Which Ampeg cab is this?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Derio, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Derio

Derio

Found this on CL today for <$200.

Trying to get more info on it before I drive the distance and check it out, anyone have an idea?

I think it says 'classic' but the label placement is all wrong - it looks like it's been renovated a bit.

Advertised as 500w/1000w so I think it's just the SVT-410HE classic - but would an older model be inferior?

Input?

My Ashdown Cab blew some speakers, so I'm in need of a cab - and this price looks like a steal.

[​IMG]

2. popgadget

popgadget

Disclosures:
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    Look at the input / crossover plate for numbers. The ports look like a PR410-HLF, but the rest of the cab doesn't. Then again, it might not be an Ampeg at all.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That looks like a PR410hlf with a homemade grill, or at least a backwards grill from another cabinet with poorly installed cloth. Probably a good sounding cab but I'd be hard pressed to pay $200 for it in that shape.

4. Derio

Derio

Thanks guys,

I'm going to go check it out asap - would you say it's worth the $200?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Well. normally I would defer to Jimmy, but if the speakers are in good shape, it seems to me that alone is worth $200.

I paid $400 for my Ampeg 8x10 made out of chip board and with the dreaded dark drivers and on top of that, there was no tolex on it. Best $400 I ever spent.

7. 5 Wire

5 Wire

Go $150 - Make sure it all works first.

8. popgadget

popgadget

Disclosures:
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    I don't think it is. The ports on the PR are flush to the front below the drivers rather than on the baffle with the drivers. The cab shape and corners are all wrong for the PR. I'm thinking its not an Ampeg.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Good catch! I missed that one. Yeah, now that you say that, it looks more like the SVT410hlf. Looks like it's been retolexed and regrilled poorly, but I think it's a legit Ampeg cab:

[​IMG]

Does he have a pic of the back plate and sides?

10. Derio

Derio

I was thinking this too.

It really doesn't look like an Ampeg - though I'll find out when I actually get a close look at it. But if the speakers are good, and it sounds good and works well, I might just pull the speakers and throw them into my Ashdown Combo.

Thanks for the input everyone, keep it coming - and I'll keep you all updated on what I do when I go check it out.

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Hold on a minute there dude. I wouldn't go throwing them in random cabs or anything. Drivers don't work that way. You can't just randomly cram them into any cab they fit in.

I was assuming these are Eminence BPs or some other driver that THIS cab was designed for as well as OTHER Ampeg cabs.

12. Derio

Derio

He does not, I asked for pics and he just said call me. Guess I'll find in person. It should be obvious if I saw the sides backplates.

You're right, I knew that but wasn't really thinking.

Hope this turns out to be a good deal, I love me some deals = )

13. Derio

Derio

Hey all, just a quick update.

Turned out to be an SVT 410 HLF, very glad for the lower end as I play a 5-string Schecter.

I bought this baby for $195 - very happy with it, sounds amazing.

tolex is a little faded, but that is no concern to me - I plan on refinishing it all in white to fit my bands theme and besides, a little vintage never hurt anyone

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Cool bro...enjoy!

15. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Nice deal! All it needs is a little lovin'.