Which Ampeg??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Deadsleeper, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Deadsleeper

Deadsleeper

Hello fellow bass players. First post by a new member. I'm looking for help deciding between an Ampeg SVT 3PRO or an Ampeg SVT 4PRO. I need enough power to keep up in a metal band with two guitar players both playing through all tube 100 watt full stacks and a loud drummer. Any advise regarding which hybrid Ampeg would best suit my needs would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    Between the two choices I would say pro4. PLENTY of power there. I had an 3pro and found it loud enough for punk, but some have said it falls short for them...I don't see how.
  3. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

First, welcome to Talkbass! :)

What amp and cab(s) are you playing through at the moment? Will PA support always be available for you?

I am not an Ampeg owner / fan so can't help there but can try and help you overall!
  4. DRafalske

DRafalske

What cab(s) are you going to be using?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Deadsleeper

Deadsleeper

Currently running an Ampeg SVT Classic into an Ampeg 8x10 Classic cab. I was planning on keeping on keeping the cab.I like the tone of the head but don't like the weight or dealing with power tubes.
  7. eyeballkid

Disclosures:
    The 4pro isn't much lighter once it's racked...
  8. Deadsleeper

Deadsleeper

Gonna use a rack case on wheels. Forgot to say, yes, pa direct always available where I play.
  9. ninerfan

ninerfan

10. eyeballkid

Disclosures:
  11. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I say keep the tube amp, and add a second 810.
  12. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

I had an svt 3 pro and found it to be under powered and over weight. I like my PF500 much better and it was a lot less in terms of cost and weight. It's my rehearsal rig, so I never gigged with it.
  13. Deadsleeper

Deadsleeper

Cool. Thanks everyone.
  14. sincity

sincity Supporting Member

The SVT 3 Pro has great tone, but for your purposes I would go with the 4 Pro if that is the only option you are looking at with your style of music.

The 4 Pro has the wattage you need, but it is not a light weight. Of course, you are moving an 8x10 cab around so weight is probably not an issue for you.

For brute force power, I would suggest the GK 1001RBII head with The 21 VT pedal in front.
  15. johnpbass

johnpbass

How about I throw a 7PRO into the equation? Gobs of power, light, and according to many players, it sounds closest to tubes of all the hybrid PRO series.
  16. Basshappi

Basshappi

THIS
  17. tooley

tooley

I find it very hard to believe that your having power trouble using a svt cl through an 8x10. May I ask how you set your tone? Do you scoop the mids by any chance?
  18. eyeballkid

Disclosures:
    I don't think he's complaining of not enough power, just that whatever he gets has to keep up too.
  19. senp5f

senp5f

I might suggest a GK 2001RB. I know this thread is about Ampeg, but for solid state rock amps with lots power I think GK is a pretty competitive choice. Personally I think ampeg's strength is in amps like the one he's moving away from.
  20. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

Go with the 4 Pro. You will have plenty of power (if set up right with Bridged Mode Speaker Cable), more flexible (with 2 amplifiers inside), and heavy enough internally to last a lifetime. Dont buy into the light weight crap. It is not built to last. The 40 pound 4 Pro I can handle with one hand. It goes everywhere with me.
  21. iamdenialNJ

iamdenialNJ

+1 to adding another 810