Which are the best replacement Drivers?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by moyne, Dec 19, 2012.

1. moyne

moyne

I am lucky enough to have a friend who is giving me two 2x12 Mills Acoustic Afterburner cabs. All I need to do is put new drivers in them!
    I use a passive Birdsong Corto and a Musicman stingray and either an Ashdown Superfly 500 or an Ashdown mag 300.
    I want to make two 8 ohm cabs cable of handling up to 300-400 watts each.
    So what do ya think? Which drivers should I go for? Really need a steer here, guys.:meh:
  2. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

The traditionally correct answer is: "The correct replacement driver from the manufacturer. That's what the boxes are designed for."

Having said that, this isn't really rocket science. If you want 8 ohm cabs you'll need 4 or 16 ohm drivers. Without internal dimensions of the cabs and the size of any ports that's really all that can be said. You should really try modelling this with WinISD pro.

One alternative would be Eminence Delta 12B which is 16 ohms.
  3. moyne

moyne

Thank you, Rune Bivrin.
    I guessed two series wired 4 ohm drivers or two 16 ohm drivers wired in parallel. I'm more interested in your recommendation for Eminence Delta 12B's. Thank you for the rec. Have you tried them? What type of sound?
    I want a full bottom end sound with clarity in the middle. I play 'dad' rock blues predominantly... with a bit of funk when I'm lucky.
    Any other recommendations?
    Thanks again.
  4. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

No, I haven't tried that particular model. How they'll sound will depend as much on the box as on the drivers, so I'll refrain from guessing. The X-max is on the small side if you want really deep bass, but "a full bottom end" is usually not quite as deep as you'd think.
  5. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    moyne,
    Try asking in the "Amps" section.
    Lots of people with lots of knowledge about drivers hang out there.
  6. moyne

moyne

Thanks, will do.