1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Which audio interface ?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Loijuk, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Loijuk

Loijuk

2. jmattis

jmattis

3. Loijuk

Loijuk

Thanks , Then i'll go for the alesis IO 2

I'm gonna use the rest of the money to buy new pickups

4. mindlayer

mindlayer

When you go with anything 2 tracks, inevitably you won't get some functions like inserts or low/no latency monitoring. And once you have a friend to plug in, too, then you're kind of hosed. 4-8 channels will be good, if you need more than 8 inputs direct, you need a full studio. Tracking with a 4 track is not all that bad, and I wouldn't touch anything that just does 44-48Khz. 96K is standard sampling rate, gives you the headroom you want/need.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Loijuk

Loijuk

Ok thanks , then I might consider going for the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

Thanks for the information , I didnt know that

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

The Alesis doesn't have ASIO drivers of it's own. Alesis recommends to use ASIO4ALL if you need lower latency.

There's nothing wrong with using ASIO4ALL, but it does has some limitations.

If you need ASIO at all depends on what software you're using. For example, you don't need ASIO for Sonar, you can use low latency WDM/KS.

Even Tascam has released new interfaces without ASIO drivers. It may be the new trend.

8. Loijuk

Loijuk

9. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

I bet the preamps in the Alesis devices are extremely noisy. Their drivers are poor as well.

10. jarrydee

jarrydee

I would go M-audio before alesis...I have used a ton of m audio recording gear and they are good....If you could save and get away from USB you would do yourself a great favor.

11. Loijuk

Loijuk

Ok now i'm stuck between the Line6 Pod Studio GX or M-audio

I've heard great things about the M- audio , but does anyone has experience with the Line6 Pod Studio GX ?

12. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

That Line 6 device looks like a cheap piece of junk. I wouldn't buy the M-Audio device either. Spend a few more dollars and get a Focusrite or a PreSonus.

13. Loijuk

Loijuk

Thanks , I think i'm gonna buy the focusrite , because it's a very reasonable price

14. seamonkey

seamonkey

Line 6 isn't a bad interface. Can't read a book by it's cover.

It also comes with POD Farm which is an outstanding sounder modeling/effects package.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Eerily enough, I'm in the market for something of a similar nature, too, but the M-Audio Fast Track C400 is looking more like the front runner to me. The Scarlet looks hot, but it only does audio where the Fast Track also does MIDI. So for those of you who have tried both, is the Scarlet that much better sounding than the C400 to where I won't mind getting something else to do MIDI?

And I don't need more than two channels ever.

16. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

17. jmattis

jmattis

The pre in the Scarlett is really nice for it's price. I've never tried the recording software it comes with (Ableton Live), but the little plug-in suite is solid. I use it with Logic instead, and it can also be used with the newer versions of ProTools, GarageBand, Audacity, etc. The direct bass tone I get from this thing just crushes my old mbox, but the mbox did have a little more output for the headphone out. You can still get it plenty loud, but I do wind up having the headphone volume cranked pretty good. Not dimed, but close.

18. jmattis

jmattis

And Jimmy, I'm not much of a midi user, but I think most of them hook up via usb these days. You should be able to plug that in to an open usb slot on the computer and be good to go. Or does that not get you where you need to be?

19. jmattis

jmattis

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Actually it would as long as it communicates with the software. I'm so far behind the curve on that, though, but I'll look into it.

21. jarrydee

jarrydee

If not the M-audio then get the Focusrite,..I just sold my Focusrite LS 56 and it was a great interface, I have also owned the Focusrite Saffire pro 40..all of them beat the hell out of my old Digi 003 and m audio gear, but I have never used their USB interfaces, I prefer firewire!