Which Bass Do You Wish You Still Had?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by plangentmusic, Jul 27, 2010.

1. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

We all have those regrets -- the one that got away!

I have two.

One of my first basses was an Ibanez Soundgear. I sold it to get the money for a "better" bass. NOTHING sounded that that one and I've regretted it ever since.

The other one wasn't one that I owned but should have. Back in 1981 a pawn shop had a bunch of 60's Hofners that they were selling for 75 bucks each. I considered it, but then thought, 'What am I going to do with THAT?'
  2. Aspidites

Aspidites

My old MIJ Fender Jazz that was given to me by my uncle about a year before he passed away and was stolen about 3 years after that.
  3. Righteous Thunderer

Righteous Thunderer

I had a Cort B4 as my first bass, sold it when I was hard up for cash, I'll always wish I had kept that. I sold my first guitar too, and man I wish I hadn't.
  4. FL Knifemaker

FL Knifemaker

I miss the LeCompte 5er I had. Sold it to fund other gas, which was sort of dumb :oops:

Other than that, with well over 50 basses bought and sold, I'm happy. I can't keep them all.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Xavier Knox

Xavier Knox

My first bass was a cheap Samick with a killer translucent red finish. Had sweet action for a cheapy. Sold it when I was in college and need the funds. Keep trying to get the buyer to sell it back to me but no dice.
  7. spade2you

spade2you

If I get really attached to a bass, I don't sell it. I've seen too many of these threads.
  8. vstring3

vstring3

1982 Japanese Fender P-Bass. A few years ago, I gave it to a friend (who couldn't afford a decent bass) after I considered myself indefinitely retired from gigging.

I like the P-bass I have now, but it's not the same.
  9. dalkowski

dalkowski

My first, a new 77 or 78 Guild B-301A.
  10. Seidell

Seidell

My Samick artist series.....I was a dumb teen that sold it :( And the Musicman S.U.B. I gave away to a bass player who's gf smashed his and didn't have money at the time lol
  11. bizzydonbass

bizzydonbass

My 5 String, 20th Anniversay Ken Smith Bass w/Red Flamed Maple....Needed the funds to get married......The guys plays it a few blocks from my house @his local church....
  12. wengr

wengr Supporting Member

late 70's gibson grabber. My first real bass. scrounged all around my house looking for anything gold or silver and took it to the gold buyer pawn guy to get the cash to buy it. Later sold it to fund car parts or some other useless crap. big mistake
  13. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    80's Moonstone Eclipse with an insanely thin neck... but, amazingly enough, someone on TB actually would up with it after all these years and sent me pics to confirm it.

[​IMG]
  14. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Easy...Dingwall Afterburner I.

Before the Combustion, the Afterburner I was meant to be the affordable Dingwall. The one I owned is still the nicest bass I've ever played or owned. It had a great live tone, and the sound of the bass in a recorded mix was the most amazing thing I've ever heard. Couldn't afford it then, and had to sell it. Can't afford one now, as the MSRP has shot up over $1000 since they were released. Even the used prices have crept out of my price range. Still, I will have to own again someday. It was the perfect passive 5-string IMO.
  15. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

No offense, but couldn't you just purchase another Ibanez? :meh: They're not too hard to find, and quite inexpensive. Especially if you snag a used one on Craigslist or Ebay or something...great basses. I used to have one.

My bass I sold and regretted was a Squier II Precision. What did I do? I snagged another one in the same color from a TBer about 2 years ago. :D

[​IMG]
  16. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

My first bass a Univox EB-2 copy, like this one -
    [​IMG]
    Also, my best bass ever, a '78 P-bass, natural finish, black pickguard, rosewood FB. Had to sell it a couple of years ago to pay bills. Makes me sad just thinking about it. :crying:
  17. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

I've owned several. None felt and sounded like that old Soundgear. Oddly enough, ALL Ibanez's have the same flimsy feel to me -- even the expensive models. But that old one was special. I think there were just a batch they made in the 80's that were different. And better.
  18. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Warwick Infinity Ltd 5 string fretless :(

[​IMG]
  19. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

ah OK, it was an 80's Ibby. I hear ya there, I played my buddy's 80's ATK and it's a total beast. Feels very woody and solid with super hot pickups.
  20. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Greetings from the North,

1. Hayman 4040

2. 1st year Les Paul Recording Bass

3. 1978 4001 Rickenbacker

Yup young and dumb.....:atoz:

Rezdog
  21. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    A '64 T-Bird II that I had in the mid eighties. It had a repaired headstock and turquoise inlaid in the T-Bird logo on the pickguard (just in case someone on here has it now. Not that I could afford it!). I was living in Ok. City and sent it to Guitar Trader in N.Y. in a trade for something incredibly stupid. :rollno:

Moonshine :bassist: