Which bass for a newb starting bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ete203, Jul 16, 2011.

Which bass for new player?

1. Yamaha RBX170

35 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. Ibanez GSR200

32 vote(s)
    47.8%
  1. ete203

ete203

I haven't ever played a guitar, or honestly even held one, and am looking into getting a bass guitar. I do have some musical knowledge from playing the cello, piano, and singing so I guess im only a newb to guitars.

I am stuck trying to decide which bass to get. I am on a budget and both are about the same price at $80 (ebay) and have seen people suggest both guitars to start with.

The candidates are:

Yamaha RBX170 (new in package with everything but an amp)
    Ibanez GSR200 (has been played 4 times and is year old)

Thanks for your input!

Edit: Buying a new Yamaha RBX170 tomorrow off craigslist for $80, thanks for opinions and votes!

2. Tupac

Tupac

None of the above. Squier VM Jaguar Special for $200. Or, if you want to chip in 50 more, your options expand greatly.

3. tom once dead

tom once dead

Play both and see what which one you like more. I started off on an RBX, but the necks on the ibbys are slimmer, which I prefer.

4. Punk Rock Jason

Punk Rock Jason

I started on a GSR200. Worked out nicely for me. Played it for 3 years before I upgraded and passed it on to another aspiring bass player. It's a solid starter bass. Nothing bad to say about it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    GSR200 was a great starter bass when I started back in '04, but there are MUCH better options in that price range nowadays.

Squier VM and Classic Vibe series basses are phenomenal (I own two right now and wouldn't think of selling either one) for the price. Schecter Raiden Deluxe basses are great too if you want to put a bit more money in. GSR200 isn't bad, it just doesn't take the cake on bang for the buck anymore.

7. 5 String Rich

5 String Rich

Yea, you don't want to spend too much at first.
    then decide you don't like bass..
    I have a buddy, bought a $2,000 Warwick for his first, then went to guitar.
    He sold the Warwick on E bay last year for $500......

8. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

Cut my teeth with a RBX170.
    Only regret?

Since buying my ATK305 it's been a dust magnet.

The RBX170 is great if you want something that looks unique yet, sounds great too.

However the GSR200's sound great too.

Play both and see which one pops out the most. Go to your local Guitar Center they should have both basses in stock as they are fairly popular with beginners such as youself.

9. waleross

waleross

+1 on not spending too much, since you might not take to it. You can get a low cost beginner bass for around $200. I know that the Fender Squires start at that price and a good practice bass amp for $100 to $200. Try Guitar Center and see what they have in the used dept. take somebody along who knows bass stuff and get help . Also have fun......:cool:

10. GhostKey

GhostKey

I'd like to mention two things:
    1. Play them for yourself - They are both really good instruments in THAT price range.
    2. I absolutely understand you being on a budget - Normally I'd suggest spending a bit more to get a better instrument, but you'd be paying more than what the increase in quality is worth ($80 is really good).

However I would suggest, if you haven't, looking at a bit higher price range on eBay (about $120), you never know what you could find. Or check out the TB classifieds.

11. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

For $80 either bass will serve you well as an introduction to bass.

12. nocontrols

nocontrols

I agree with this. I voted Yamaha because they're typically a really great value, excellent bang for the buck, but either bass is worthy as a starter for only $80. Take the money you save and get a setup and lessons!

13. ete203

ete203

Thanks for the replies, have been helpful. What about a Squier Affinity P bass compared to the other two?

14. aus_bass

aus_bass

Affinity is the "el-cheapo" in the Squier range. You may find an OK one, but best to avoid. You'd be better off looking at the VM or CV range of Squiers. Either of these will be consistently better than an Affinity.

IMHO/IMHE/YMMV/etc. :D

15. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

Yeah Affinity = crapshoot. I've seen some with messed up frets maybe it was a TGIF.

However in shame as a anti-Fender/Squier guy I once tried a VM P bass it sounded ballsy and if I wasn't a Squier I'dve snatched it. However I can't bear being a hypocrite.

16. nocontrols

nocontrols

Then why make sweeping generalizations and blanket condemnations? That's the surest way to wind up a hypocrite.

Your loss. You missed out on a good bass.

17. stingraysvt

stingraysvt

We used to sell the Affinty P-bass and I was pretty impressed, but only after I set it up... Make sure to get whatever you buy setup.

Setup on bass could run as much as $80 with strings, etc... But if you purchase from a dealer they typically do it for free, maybe charge you for the new strings, best advice, if they offer a free setup take it! If they don't offer, it's worth asking.

18. Katfish Krow

Katfish Krow

Great Thread...little more info if anyone could on the Squier brand and why the VM Jaguar in particular (with pics if possibile?)

My first bass is a loaner, a Fender P (I cant even tell what year, and it has only a tone and volume knob) I wanted to get a more permanent bass for myself (because the Fender is so honkin big!) A friend tried to sell me his Arbor AB400 used with case and strap for $150. Its weird,but when I first played it, it was fine, then when I took it to church rehersal,the sound was none too good, no matter how I adjusted the knobs/amp. So Im returning it. Another friend loaned me her Fender Jazz (Im assuming because its smaller than the Fender) I havent gotten to play with it yet...