Which bass for electronic music

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wattsman, Dec 31, 2013.

1. wattsman

wattsman

Hi guys, i'I've been a musician for quite long and now i'm transitioning from guitar to bass. My band plays electronic rock, so i need a bass that gives me good lows so i can emulate somehow what we recorded with synths.
    I know you can say, use synths!! but i want to do a more rock setup for live.
    I'm a fender guy, so i will go with a Precision or Jazz preferably, but I'm open to options.
    What would you use in my situation?

2. Red_Label

Red_Label

I've been playing along with a lot of 80s synth bass lines lately with my Sterling Ray 35 into a GK MB200 head/Eden N15RS cab. I can get a nice, hi-fi scooped clear tone with this rig that seems to stay tight and give me a good substitute tone for synth lines. It's nice having the low B, since many synth lines do go below low E (and I don't like retuning). That reminds me... will have to pick-up a Hipshot BT-1 for my Ray 34 for when I feel like playing it instead of the 35.

3. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Get industrial radio midi bass, if not any bass plus lots of pedals. Check out men imitating machine, jarman the bassist use the industrial radio midi bass

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Nice find. That's cool

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DannyBob

DannyBob

Nice 5 string ibanez sr. Or try a fretless as this will give nice slides and stuff....

7. hillerup

hillerup Supporting Member

My band Neotek does exactly what you discribe...

We've tried various ways of going it with either Apple Logic/Mainstage or Ableton Live/Mainstage, where Logic/Ableton Live would be running the main sequences and all kinds of program changes and effects for the remaining instruments in the band.

Our keyboard player will be triggering samples and virtual instruments with his keyboard, and also controls the MacBook Pro with different knobs on his keyboard.

I use a wireless Thunderbird which is wired up with the MacBook running Mainstage and Native Instruments GuitarRig, which is responsible for my entire sound (amps, cabs and effects) - Everything is controlled by the MacBook, including program changes, volume adjustments and effects - this is a very practical solution for me, as I double as the bands guitar player as well and only need to concentrate on changing instruments - the rest is programmed with the songs.

We have substituted bass synths in several of our songs with electric bass with this setup - I usually run a lot of compression and distortion on my Thunderbird, and have made good use of the Rammfire plugin from Native Instruments in doing so.

8. wattsman

wattsman

cool!! exactly the info i wanted!! seems like no one is using fender for this type of sound. keep the comments coming please! i can use all the advice.

9. wattsman

wattsman

I found a very good price on a marcus miller jazz bass, i'm interested because of the active/passive capability, you think that could do the trick?

10. bassbenj

bassbenj

EXACTLY! Fender is exactly the WRONG bass for this job. Too "old school", although you could use one for a source and just use a lot of pedals and effects. But IMHO it's better to keep it simpler and start with something much closer to where you want to go. In other words, what we call a "modern" bass. Examples already mentioned are Ibanez, T-Bird, and a Stingray will be exceptionally nice. And don't feel bad, thats a Leo design too!

Edit: Of all the Fender Jazz and P basses, the Marcus Miller is about the only one that could work out because of the bright, edgy more modern tone.

11. M.Wrenn

M.Wrenn

T-Bird?....:eyebrow:

12. wattsman

wattsman

Im not a fan of ibanez, nor gibson. what about those new fender dimension bases?. What about lakeland? Any other mid price brands? Are there brands with classic designs but modern electronics??

13. Rick48195

Rick48195 Rick48195, Play it like you stole it!!! Supporting Member

keyboard not a bass

14. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

i use a jazz bass into a geiger counter, wooly mammoth, and a vintage dr. q, we are going for more of a dr. octagon or portis head vibe

15. Spectrum

Spectrum

This guy seems to do alright with one:

"Modern" basses aren't very modern; they all use the same tech the old Fenders use, except for fancy stuff like MIDI basses and Lightwaves.

For old school, a Rickenbacker might be worth looking at, since it has seperate output channels for each pickup and a full set of controls for VVTT and a toggle switch, letting you mute and control each channel seperately. Plus it sounds awesome when playing regular bass.

All IMO of course.

16. hillerup

Honestly I think it sounds like ****... But then again that's my opinion, and definitely not the kind of sound, I would be looking for, when replicating a synth bass sound.

17. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

I have 5 basses and currently only play electronic music, and they all work well in different ways. If I were to only use one, I'd probably go with the Fender Power Jazz Special. It can get nice punchy tones that play nicely with electronic bass drums, but it can also get dark and boomy with its versatile pre amp. It also sounds great with overdrive.

18. hillerup

Those Fender Power Jazz Special's are really nice basses - Love their looks - a shame they don't make these anymore...

19. wattsman

wattsman

thanks everyone for your help. i got a great deal on a fender MM. I will continue checking out basses anyways.
    thanks for the info and the attitude. i'm also a member in other forums where there are a lot of "experts" that are constantly writing negative comments instead of trying to help fellow musicians. Not here!! thanks again!