which bass guitar should i buy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by D L Parish, Jan 30, 2014.

1. D L Parish

D L Parish

HI i am wanting a p bass. but money is kind short. i found a Peavey Fury Bass USA i good condision 8 out of 10.

they have Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass with the Duncan Designed PB101 Split Single-Coil a in white used 9 out of 10.

both have split pickups

same money $100

which one would you buy?

don

USA PEAVEY CUB 351
  2. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

Can you play them both? I know the Fury has a Jazz-width neck, so it's nice and skinny at the nut. Not sure about the Squier. I had a Fury before I gave it to my dad, and it did the P tone very well. It's also made in the US, if that matters to you. Fit and finish might be better on the Squier, if that matters to you. If it were me, it would come down to which one felt best in my hands, as they will both likely sound like a P.
  3. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

If you want a thin neck go peavey.
    If you want a thicker neck go the squier.
  4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I'll tell you this I'm a Fender/Squire guy and its what I own and play. The furys and any of those USA Peaveys are great basses. I have always said I was going to pick one up for where else can you get a US made bass that good for so little? They play and sounds great. IMO try both and decide.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. D L Parish

D L Parish

HI all
    I went back to the pawn shop to day and played the Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass and the peavey fury. after looking both basses over real good i bought the Well let me tell you this.lol

the Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass is a pice of crap the neck look like a 6 flags roller coaster.

the peavey need just ever so slight straighting and look just as good as Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass. and the peavey sounded better so it mine $100. it is a 8.5 out of 10. it need a little TLC. pots need cleaned and a good cleaning from setting in a pawn shop for 3 years i know of.

the truss rod cover is missing. so if anyone knows where i can get one sing out. it is black body with white pick guiard.

i will post pic soon.

P.S. i have falling in love with the smaller neck jazz bass kinda.

Don

USA PEAVEY CUB 351
  7. ryanms3030

ryanms3030

I got back into playing recently and picked up squire vm jazz. It's the 5th bass I've owner and first with the thin "jazz" neck and I can't imagine going back to a bass with a thicker neck now
  8. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I had a Peavey Fury and it played great. My great nephew decided that he wanted to take up the bass, so I gave it to him for Christmas. I'm giving him basic lessons at this point and have to say that I smile every time I see and hear that bass.
  9. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

USA Peavey > Indonesian Squier! But you already figured that out.
  10. Bompa

Bompa

11. Pearly Gator

Pearly Gator

[​IMG]
  12. Major Softie

Major Softie

Especially with used instruments, either could be in better shape than the other, but, if they were in equal condition, I'd totally go Fury. But then, I just love Peavey necks.
  13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I am a Fender guy and I would jump on the Peavey at that price.
  14. D L Parish

D L Parish

15. D L Parish

D L Parish

it would not let me add attachments till this post.

Attached Files:

16. D L Parish

D L Parish

more pics sorry for the bad pic my camera battery is dead, phone pic. i will post better pic later

Don

Attached Files:

17. JustForSport

JustForSport

A all maple neck besides-
    and if it sounds as good as it looks, that's a total winner!
  18. BassNeo

BassNeo

For $100 you sir have a winner!

Don't sweat the cover. My foundation S hasn't had it for all the years I've owned it, no one has noticed.
  19. D L Parish

D L Parish

Thank to you all. it sounds nice it has that p bass sound. i will take a bit to get use to that small neck. but getting better i have not been playing long about a year so not to good. but my old hand like this neck better. i am retired and always wanted to play bass but never found the time. wish i has started 45 years ago.i do this for me.

Don
  20. Major Softie

Major Softie

Mine looked just like yours when I got it, but I got reamed for $125. :p

Now it has a Gotoh bridge, black Roto tapes, and Tort. Couldn't look prettier.

(of course, not everyone likes Tort, but those who don't are just crazy)
  21. D L Parish

D L Parish

HI All

here is an update i straightened the neck last night last night and wow i don't know who did the set up on this bass but it is low and fast. hardly any pressure is needed on strings to get a fine tone.

Don

if we ever get any sun here i will take some good pics.

anyone got a pic of one of there fury with bridge and pickup covers . i wonder how it would look. i know like a fury with a bridge and pickup cover on lol

Attached Files: