? Which Bass head is best for 2x15 cab.?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Jan 6, 2014.

?

mesa boogie or Ampeg bass heads?

1. all tube?

23 vote(s)
    52.3%
  2. hybrid?

15 vote(s)
    34.1%
  3. solid state?

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

I'm in the market for a bass head, Here's the thing. I'm REALLY into the 2x15 Bass cab. I LOVE the Deep, warm, punchy sound they have when paired with the right head. I prefer them over the 4/8x10 set up. I know they're not very popular amongst today's players, but they Do It for me. I'll probably top it off w/ a 2x10 atop of it for the highs. I used to have a GK 400RB back in the early 90's with a Trace Elliot 4x10 cab. Looking back now, they probably weren't matched well, but I didn't know about matching ohms and all that stuff and I'm STILL not clear on it, Ha Haaaaaaa!!! ANYWAYS, I need help from the professionals, experts/experienced and knowledgeable Bassist here on TB to help/guide me in making a decision on a Bass head. I've been reading a lot of the older threads, and I seem to have narrowed it down to 2 or 3 choices. The Ampeg SVT4 Pro, Mesa Boogie big block 750 or Ampeg SVT 7 Pro(?). Sorry in advance for being long winded and ...well, a little ignorant about a few things, Ha Ha! Thanks for any advice, tips, suggestions etc. B.T.Jazzplyr
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Unless you are talking a modern NEO cab like a BareFaced, Greenboy dually or the like you are talking too much amp for the old ceramic 215's. Look at the reissue Ampeg V4-B (used the original with a 215 for a lot of years).
  3. seventhsunbass

seventhsunbass

I have a BB750 and an M3 combo and while I do love the tones of both, my Buster Bass 200 is my favorite, hands down. I did love my 400+ heads as well but with the Buster, I get the great tone and warmth but way less to carry. Not to discount the Ampeg V4B's and SVT heads (I have run both) and my Traynor YBA 1 and 1A heads, they all sound good and are great heads, I just dig my Mesa gear in my ear. (see what I did there? :bassist: )
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You are going about this all wrong.

First of all, which 215? That makes a difference. Figure that out and then shop for an amp. Additionally a vertical 215 actually has better dispersion in the mids than a sideways 210. There is no reason to add a full range 210 to a full range 215. Third, as has been pointed out, unless you are looking at one of the newer high end 215's 300 or so watts is going to be more than enough to push your cab close to its mechanical limits.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Big +1 to CLPeavey's post.

1st- you can't judge the frequency response of any particular spkr cab by the diameter of the cones alone.
    2nd- modern bass cabs are "full range" spkr cabs, and the only cab well suited to pair with a 210 is another identical 210.
    Read the stickies and faq's for plenty of info.
  7. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

I'd go for a NEO 215 (or two NEO 115's) and the SVT-7 PRO. Now you've got me thinking about 15's. My current rigs are all 12's or 10's.
  8. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Yeah, Thanks guys/ all that replayed. I'm still doing research, trying to get info. and advice from players that have owned and or played through certain amps with a 2x15 cab. I'm actually leaning towards the old Mesa 400+ head w/ the Mesa 2x15 but I REALLY (not to sound too cliche) LOVE the Ampeg sound. I own a Ampeg 100 watt combo w/ 1x15, that amp kicks ass! but I'm ready to "upgrade" I need more power, not so much for the sake of being loud, but for the... You know, tone and sound you get with a more powerful amp, even at lower volumes. The headroom I guess is what I'm trying to say. Anyway, Thanks All.
  9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

There is a Mesa d180 in the classifieds. $750 shipped. Goes most excellently with JBL 2x15. Bonus ability to dial down volume independent of power tube overdrive.
  10. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

I was actually thinking about the (old)Mesa Boogie 2x15 (used of course) or the RARE, very hard to find Ampeg 2x15 cab. I don't no much about these Neo cabs that some guys have mentioned, but I guess I should look into them as well.
  11. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Those old Mesa 2x15 were designed for, drumroll, the d180. You got the question back to front now!
  12. vistacruiser

vistacruiser

If you would consider a pair of 115's as opposed to a single 2x15, I vote for finding a pair of used SWR Son Of Bertha (SOB) cabs. The sound from an SOB (with the tweeter off) is very similar to the Ampeg SVT-115e. But the SOB is rated to handle 350 watts rms at 8 ohms while the SVT-115e is rated at only 200 rms.
    For me the 115 cabs make sense, I can take one or both, as needed.
  13. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    I voted all tube because I use a pair of the old tweeter less Ampeg Altec driver option SVT 115's with a Hiwatt Dr 201 clone and it's the same as the tone that plays in my head for big fat warm yet still capable of bright and agile if necessary.:bassist:
    I get plenty of power and don't damage the classic drivers, which high power SS power amps in hybrids, or pre power amp riggs with no HPF or compressor tend to do, for no apparent increase in level and to me, certainly less in the way of sonic joy.:bassist:
  14. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    But so far in the pole the OP Is only going to have a maximum of 4X KT88 circa 200 tube watts so no danger there.:D
  15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

In his other thread he says he needs 300w tube watts up his vintage 2x15. He may need to learn stuff the hard way.
  16. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I have an old Peavey 2x15 loaded with Altec 421's.
    have used it with a Acoustic 450, 370, V4B (did not offer much headroom for anything remotely punchy), SVT-CL, 7-Pro, and Walkabout.
    Loved the sound with all.
    In my case, the cabinet could not be pushed very hard due to the drivers but I did notice a lack of fullness with anything under 300 watts at 4 ohms.
  17. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Little Mark III