1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which bass players should upgrade their gear?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Thomas Kievit, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Okay, this is basicly something that probably doesn't make sence, since musicians play with the instruments and amps they like. But in my opion, some bass players should upgrade their stuff to make some better hearable basslines, playing live..

For my taste, Oliver Riedel (Rammstein) should upgrade his Sandberg California PM basses. He uses 5 of them, but they are all passive. Since he is a pick player primairly, I think he should get active basses. His signature model (Sandberg Terrabass) was active and had a better response and sound when he played live (in my opion :p)

So, is there a bass player that you would like to have his gear upgraded to get a better sound?
  2. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Me.

Brand and model unimportant. Just send me lots of expensive basses...
  3. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

+1000

As far as pick players benefitting from active basses, I've not found this so far (P plus pick = perfection). But if you send me lots of active basses I'll play them with a pick until I find the right one.
  4. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Active? Whatever floats your note! Just give me a good passive bass and a Sansamp. But if free active basses are falling out of the sky my arms are wide open.

Sometimes its the little tweaks that can make a big difference. Like opening up the tone knob, changing hand position, tweaking the amp eq, a string change, or just firing the sound guy. :)
  5. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Geddy's bass lines would do well with a low B, 5 string.
    Also Rocco Prestia could really bump up his lines with a low B 5'er.
  6. iiipopes

iiipopes

You're right. It doesn't.
    The best known pick player ever played (and still plays) what was (at the time) a bass that was not well known, quirky, and short scale at that.
  7. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

I think your latter suggestion would have solved a lot of my frustrations in the past!
  8. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

I've never heard anyone say active basses are better for pick playing.
  9. mebusdriver

mebusdriver

I couldnt DISagree more.
  10. Astroman

Astroman Supporting Member

Ditto on the Geddy comment: I'm a huge Rush/Geddy fan, and I love the sound of his Jazz on all of his recordings, but live I think he would really benefit from a different bass. I have seen them numerous times and almost always have trouble hearing his Jazzes in the mix. Since he loves Fenders, maybe a Sadowsky 5 or a Celinder, and I think the active electronics would help immensely. That tone would kill in his hands!
  11. phillybass101

phillybass101 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars
    IMO when you hear somone live and you don't hear their signature tone. You are hearing two things. One, the magic of recording in a studio. Two the FOH house mix for the bass.
  12. Astroman

Sure, from my own experience (Although not playing in arenas!), certain basses with a distinctive mid-range voice can cut through a live mix much better. Geddy played Wal basses in the 80s and I remember being able to hear those much better in the live mix. I think his sound now would be better served with a "Fender on steroids" tone!
  13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

IMHO, if a musician uis selling music and tickets, and is drawing enough buzz that we are talking about him, his sound is probably working just fine. Lots of folks have perfect tone but are playing in their basements, sitting in on the weekly jams (gratis,) or they are in some small church.
  14. Astroman

True, but if you're a renowned player and people have trouble hearing you, it would be nice to consider that. Of course, huge venues are going to be difficult if not impossible to get a good mix for everyone in the house, especially us audiophiles.

And I know how the sound men hate getting instructions from clowns in the audience, knowing most are pros who have spent hours testing the acoustics in a venue before a show starts. Just saying my ideal would be to have the best sonic seat in the house, then to have "X" player using "X" bass live - that would be exciting :hyper:
  15. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

I've always wanted to hear Geddy play a 5-string, pity it's never happened. Fender Jazzes are the bomb (and active pickups are for youngins) so there's nothing wrong with his gear, if he can't be heard live that's the mixing engineer's fault.
  16. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
  17. chef wong

chef wong

I'd like to see at least one old school Fender player not switch up and play some Lakeland bass. Joe Osbourn has THE Jazz Bass prototype...and now prefers a copy? They must be paying him some serious dough.
  18. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I think bass players are always going to be critical when they go to a live show ditto for the guitarists,drummers etc but the general public doesn't have that critical ear and probably doesn't know what " in the mix" means I think the named artists play what feels right to them and until the "soccer mom" from Ohio starts complaining about Geddy not sitting right in the mix it won't change.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't really care what anyone else uses. Whatever makes them happy.
  20. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Ha! This gives me the wonderful image of Sarah Palin standing on a rostrum telling outraged mothers of America that Geddy Lee's bass needs to be more prominent...