1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Which Bass should I choose?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by uberman, Dec 31, 2013.

1. uberman

uberman Supporting Member

Ive been playing for several decades and have owned fenders, music man, gretsch, cort, Ibanez, Tacoma, birdsong, etc and have played in just about every type of band out there-Rock, alt/country, jazz, etc. Five years ago I walked away from music and sold every musical piece I had and used the $ to take the wife and kid to Disneyland. its now 5 years later and about a month ago I pulled my only remaining instrument out-a 70s Ibanez Lawsuit P Bass that I only kept because it was the first and only instrument my father bought me.

OK, so now I am hooking up with another guy as 1/2 of a songwriting/singer duo. We have a retro vibe but I have to sneak out and solo every once in a while. I fell in love with short scales back 5 years ago but have no issues playing long scale either, as that is what I was raised and bred on.

So, I am going to buy a bass-hopefully my only bass. I will use it live and in recording, finger style and pick. Flats. I will be in a retro looking alt country/rock unit and have too choose one of the following:

Fender American Standard P Bass
    Fender Modern Player Telecaster Bass
    lakland Decade Skyline bass (burgundy) short or long scale.
    Lakland Skyline Hollowbody (short or long scale)

Thoughts?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Gonna be hard to beat either of those Laklands.

3. og61pbass

og61pbass

just play the Ibanez lawsuit,thats a great bass...;)

4. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

Can't go wrong with a P-Bass, especially if it's your "only" bass.

A vintage Fender Mustang would be cool too IMHO.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Randyt

Randyt

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    Have you looked at FBASS?

7. reno88

reno88 Supporting Member

mexican p-bass. readily available, great value, extremely versatile, and you don't have to treat it like a museum piece.

good hunting!

8. Itzayana

Itzayana

You should probably play them.
    When you do I am quite sure that you will find the Laklands to be much better in every regard than the Fenders.
    However, if it is more important to you to "have that look" than how the instrument actually plays or sounds you might choose differently.

9. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

I have a short scale Aria "Beatle" Bass for sale w/scroll headstock w/new fender vintage flats on it here on TB. Sounds like it would be "right up your alley". Just a suggestion.

10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

+1

That Ibanez is a very good, quality bass. Now if you want *another* bass, then go for one of those Laklands.

11. LARAIDER

LARAIDER Ghost to Da Post

Go with the bass that started it all, "The P".

12. DETTO

DETTO

Fender Jazz Bass. I dig the fretless version.

13. C130AVN

C130AVN Stringed Tubist

New Fender standard MIA basses aren't worth the cash, I own two 2012 models and they both required fret levelling and had microphonic pickups right from the factory, and had nut relief of about .030" at the first fret, what happened to workmanship? OTOH I have a stock Lakland Skyline 44-64 Vintage P that is a beautiful instrument with a gorgeous neck.