1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Which bass to choose?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Philemon, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Philemon

Philemon

2. raventepes

raventepes

Go with the Music Man. A friend of mine plays one, and honestly, if I were a 4-string kind of guy, I'd jump one one. Great tone...

3. Guinness20

Guinness20

Yeah go mm. Considered that jazz before I got my stingray. Looks beautiful and feels great, but personally don't like the passive tone. Because of that I figured I'd always leave it on active - to all intense and purposes it may as well have been an active bass for the way I'd have used it. That being the case, the stingray knocked it out of the park.

4. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

I never try both of them.

Maybe it's only me, but as I am a fan and user of Fender basses exclusively, I never like Fender 5 string basses that I've ever tried, except maybe the Roscoe Beck 5 ..
    that Musicman looks and reviewed good,.but....4 string (?)..
    do you have to compare Fender 5 string bass with Musicman 4 string bass?
    Because if it's for 4 string bass, perhaps I'll prefer Fender.
    Anyone is different tho

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Leon SX

Leon SX

These two basses are not in the same level, fender seems to be better than SBMM

but that depends on which tone u like, so i think you can search youtube, there r many viedoes of these two basses

hope that can help u

7. Wallace320

Wallace320

Fender american deluxe Jazz V natural

It's a natural Fender (ever appealin')
    it's a Jazz bass (smart and versatile)
    it's a 5er (additional low B)
    it's an active/passive live/studio workhorse of a bass

Cheers,
    Wallace

8. Oman

Oman Supporting Member

Play both basses if possible, and decide which one you like the best. I've played many basses, and all of them were preferred by a certain amount of other players, but not all of them spoke to my style or preferences. Others can tell you what they like or dislike, but only you can determine what you like. Play what you feel!

9. Philemon

Philemon

Well thanks all for your feedback. I played both, of course I agree both bass are of different categories. The Fender is definitely more versatile and powerful, but it comes with a different price tag. Was just thinking is it worth the extra $1000+ for the Fender.

10. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Why not look at the US model Stingrays?