1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which bass to compliment my SR1206?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mfbolton, Nov 30, 2012.

?

Which bass to compliment my Ibanez SR1206

1. Fender Road Worn 50's Precision Bass

33.3%
  2. Squier Classic Vibe 60's Precision Bass

11.1%
  3. Fender Pawn Shop Reverse Jaguar Bass

3.7%
  4. Fender Blacktop Jazz Bass

20.4%
  5. Fender Modern Player Telecaster Bass

1.9%
  6. Fender Mustang Bass

2.8%
  7. Ibanez ATK800 Bass

26.9%
  1. mfbolton

mfbolton Freelance Bassist Supporting Member

Planning to get a second bass to compliment my Ibanez SR1206. I just started up with a new band doing mostly covers. A really broad range of music though (311 to Paul Simon to Dr. Dre to Weezer, etc). Check out the basses I'm thinking about in the poll and let me know what you think.

Thanks!
  2. KeithKlaxwell

KeithKlaxwell

I think contrasting basses is a great way to get the most out of your gear. Try a P, good luck! :)
  3. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Music Man Bongo! Your SR 1206 will become your back up bass.
  4. Wallace320

Wallace320

I voted ATK800E Premium

I play an SRXXV Anniversary (very much a Premium just Padauk top instead of Ovangkol) in my original material Thrash Metal band, and an ATK200 Limited in my allround rockcover outfit

I just use different tuning (one full step down with thrashmetal/regular with alternative rock) different pedalboard setup (Tech21 SansAmp deluxe bassdriver and Ibanez ToneLok PhatEd for thrashmetal, Tech21 deluxe VTbass and Ibanez bass tubescreamer for all rock's) and finally different head+cab (Trace Elliot AH3007 and Peavey TVX410 for thrash and Gallien Krueger BL600 and Crate BT410 for rock)

But the bass choice, let alone many other alternatives under my belt, is the one I described you

Cheers,
    Wallace
  5. aproud1

aproud1 Hit that long lunar note, and let it float. Gold Supporting Member

Unless you need the specific sound of a p or tele or the look... I'd go for the ATK. That would be the most versatile from the list.
  6. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

ATK hands down. For the music you describe, and so much more.
  7. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

I'd go for a P or a P/J, but a different brand than the one you listed....
  8. mfbolton

Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming!
  9. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

The 1206 is a great bass IME. I briefly had a 1205 and the components and quality of these basses are similar to a $3000-4000 bass IMO.

I would definitely look at something completely different tonally.. likely a P
  10. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Jazz with flats.
  11. mfbolton

If not Fender, then who? I've had a couple Yamaha P/J's and was not overly pleased with them. My biggest gripe was the J pickup, which on those is not easily changeable.
  12. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Why not the Ibanez ATK 805?

[​IMG]

Having a Low B string is always good in a coverband :p
  13. bassplayer9512

bassplayer9512

Just played a road worn 50's and it played really well but i still liked the sound and feel of the jaguar bass. I thought it was going to suck because it looked cool and like most fenders I experienced the cooler it looked to more disappointed I was with it. The reverse jag bass honestly shocked me. I was playing both through a markbass 2x10 and little mark tube
  14. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Custom Theme Guitars for Donation to Non-Profits
    That wood pickguard looks awesome!

I voted for the Telebass because I think they are cool, but realistically would probably buy a P/J if I did not have a Fender.
  15. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

I think the CV neck P is a lot more Ibanezzy than the RW P, so if you love your SR neck you'd probably mesh really well with that one. Otherwise, the RW P, Reverse Jag, and Blacktop Jazz are all great options if you're gassing for a Fender.

(Also, jelly of your Ibanez. Choosing between my Marcus Miller 4 and an SR1206 is one of the hardest choices I've ever made on a piece of gear.)
  16. mfbolton

I didn't put any 5 strings on the list because I can use my SR1206 for songs that demand the low B, C and D's.
  17. bradjonesbass

bradjonesbass

But not necessarily with that tone... I agree, the 5-string ATK would be my choice in this situation. Get that music man tonal family, but still have the low B if you want it. I've got a 7 (fretted) and a 6 (fretless), and will be adding a music man stingray 5HH and a 5 string EUB in the near future. Always good to have that extra range IMO.
  18. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Agreed