1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which Bass Would You Sell..Fender P Deluxe V or MM Stingray 5HH?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aasti3000, Jan 29, 2013.

1. aasti3000

aasti3000 Supporting Member

What's Up TB'ers!
    Well, due to the increase of SS tax being taken out of my checks starting in 2013 I have to get rid of one of my basses to try to compensate for the financial loss until I can get a second job. Which one of my basses do you think I would get more money for:

I own:
    Musicman Stringray 5HH Honeyburst, maple finger board, and matching headstock

or

Fender Precision Deluxe V, P/J (fat pickup at the bridge not the slim one), maple finger board, black body with burgandy pick guard (Has design on it but I don't know how to word it).

They are both in pretty good condition and hardly no belt buckle marks.

I'm at work now but will provide pictures when I get home later this evening.
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

You will probably fare better on selling the Fender, Stingray's tend to lose a lot of value on the second hand market whereas Fender tends to hold the best in the biz.

I cannot provide direct price quotes as those are for supporting members only.
  3. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Malekko Heavy Industry
    It's worth it for the supporting membership. It doesn't hurt too bad to shell out a 20 spot or so per year. ;)
  4. aasti3000

Just followed your advice...I'm now a supporting member.
  5. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

It depends a bit on the vintage of the two basses. Don't forget to post that when you post the pics. All things being equal, sell the Fender, as Mr. Tritone was saying, but all things may not be equal.
  6. JoeDaddio

JoeDaddio

Which one will you regret selling less? Which one do you play more often? Which one feels better to play, that makes you feel like you don't have to put in as much effort to get the sound and feel you like?

I'd keep that one.

Unless you want to sell me the MM on the cheap. Then sell that one :p

joe
  7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:
    Which ever you play less. Keep the one that feels best regardless of tone thoughts
  8. aasti3000

The problem is I'm still a new bass player (started last June) and I like the feel and sound of the P-bass when fingering but don't like the feel and sound when slapping. I like the feel and sound of slapping on the stingray but not to much with fingering. (i know...I'm anal). So it's a tough choice...I practice funk and jazz on the stingray and R&B/Rock on the P-bass. So...I figure to go on value....I like them both a lot and will regret either being sold but a man's kids gotta eat.
  9. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Malekko Heavy Industry
    I'm with everyone else on selling the one you least prefer, having had to make this decision myself when I was neck deep in surgical bills. Another factor to make it easy: Which one would be easier to replace if I decided I can't live without it?

Just food for thought for you...and welcome to the club! :)
  10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:
    Sell both and get a jazz bass. Suits what you describe you like to play
  11. aasti3000

I had a marcus miller....neck was way to thin.
  12. aasti3000

Now that's something to think about. Because I tested a 5 string P-bass deluxe but the price on that one was high so I waited for Ebay, Craig's list, and Guitar Center's used section. It took about 4 months before one popped up. They must be rare.
  13. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Keep them both and sell something else. The used bass market is really slow now unless you price them really low.
  14. aasti3000

Is it low on everything bass wise? Amps, cabs, etc?
  15. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother. Supporting Member

I'd sell the Fender.
  16. aasti3000

Here are some picturers as promised:

2.jpg

1.jpg
  17. aasti3000

18. aasti3000

19. aasti3000

20. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Well, now that your're a supporting member you can list them both in one add and say you're only selling one. See which one sells and keep the other. (oh, the "design" on your Fender pickguard is known as tortoise shell or "tort.")

Or, just keep the one that's lighter weight!