Which Berg Cab for all tube amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by countrybassman, Sep 29, 2013.

1. countrybassman

countrybassman

hey all TB experts, I have decided on a new Bergantino cab or cabs to go with my Reeves C225 bass head. I just need some final opinions from the experts on my decision. I am trying to decide between the HD410, HD212 or the new NV115 (or two). I play in a country cover band and also a classic rock cover band. Most of my gigs are medium to small rooms with no FOH help. I need a stand alone cab (or two) to fill the rooms I play if no FOH is available. I know the HD410 and HD212 would do the trick. Would one NV115 also be better suited for my tube amp as it is a sealed cab? Or would I need two of them to get the best results. Also would the HD410 or HD212 be a better choice. I'm so confused..Please help...!

2. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I would recommend any of the NV cabs.. I love my NV-115's with my Streamliner 900...

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    While the HD212 plays well with tube amps, the narrow profile doesn't sit as well under a big, wide tube head as the HD410 does.

That being said, the (sealed) NV series are designed with tube heads in mind, and the latest member - the NV115 - is just amazing! This cab is designed to be used in either the vertical or horizontal configuration, and laid on its side, it has plenty of room for a C225.

4. jsbarber

jsbarber Supporting Member

The NV115 is perfect for a P-Bass, and would sound great with your head. But your profile says you play a 5-string Sadowsky, which I'm guessing is more of a JJ. So, you could go either route but you might be more happy with the HDs you mentioned, depending on what you're going for. Don't overlook the CN212, a lot of players like that cab and it's quite a bit lighter.

FWIW,

Jim

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

NV610 is my favorite thing they did and one of my all time fave cabs. It's a good one.

7. Tim1

Tim1

I have an nv115 which I use with a Fender super bassman 300 and a 100t. Tom is right, it is amazing. I would recommend getting two which should allow you to play just about any gig with the Reeves (I also have an nv215 for bigger gigs. Imo two nv115s would be an improvement on the nv215. The nv115 really is that good!)

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

9. 77PBass

77PBass Supporting Member

10. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Countrybassman:

I recommend a stacked pair of NV115's to go with your tube amp. That would be a very nice rig IMO!

11. KJung

KJung

Yeah, if I had a high powered tube amp that was comfortable running at 4ohms, that would be the one (along with the NV610/412 or two NV115's depending on tonal and volume goals). Nice form factor, and as a reminder, that cab is the direct descendent of the SA410, which was the 410 Jim designed for Roger Sadowsky for pairing with the SA200.

I would personally avoid the HT line in general, given most of those cabs are bigger down low, very hi fi up top, and mid relaxed. The HD212 and CN212 would sound great I think, but as Tom point out, look goofy as heck with a big tube amp hanging over each side:D

12. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Supporting Member

For me it's the NV412 all the way. That cab just screams vintage-rock-tube goodness. I've used it with a few different tube amps over the years and it just pairs flawlessly.

That being said, I do have my eye on a pair of NV115s in case I want a more modular/easy to transport set up.

13. KJung

KJung

Yeah, I only mentioned the NV's currently available new. The 412 would work just fine also:D

Edit: Correction... looks like the 412 is still available, and the 610 might be available on a limited run basis.

14. David A. Davis

David A. Davis

FYI, Jim has decided to do a limited run of 24 NV610T's. Yep, T as in tweeter. All of the details can be found over on the RocketMusic forum. Pretty cool.

15. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I've always wanted to try an NV610 with a tube amp.

I do quite enjoy my CN212 with a 400+ sitting on top. However, it is a rack mount head and proportionately looks fine on top. A full width tube head does look funny on it.

16. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

It is pure bliss!

I play an Ampeg SVT-II nonpro into an NV610. It makes me smile every time I hear it! :D (and feel it!)

17. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Supporting Member

Can you not get the 412 new anymore, as in its out of production?

18. KJung

KJung

No, I messed up... the NV610 is out of production (although there is talk of a final limited run, with the addition of a tweeter!). It looks like the NV412 is still in the product line. Sorry about that!

19. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Go with the NV115 (or a pair), or the NV412 if you can find one.

20. rodl2005

rodl2005

Haven't tried the new NV115 but or of the NV610 & NV412 I favor the 412. Just seems to go a fraction deeper & higher & seems warmer.
    With a good tube amp it's warm & wonderful. No doubt I'd love the NV115 too..... :rolleyes:

21. 77PBass

77PBass Supporting Member

Here is tubey vintage goodness with bergs HT115's...the sound of THOR!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]