Which cab is considered to have more low end?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sandwich5027, Mar 14, 2014.

1. sandwich5027

sandwich5027 Supporting Member

Eden 212XST

•Freq. Response: 40hz - 14khz ±2dB

Ampeg 410HLF

•Frequency Response (-3 dB): 48-18KHz
    •Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 28Hz

I'm confused on the ampegs usable low freq thing.....Does this mean it's boomier than Eden 212? Cause I think Eden is boomy and I know lots of people think 410HLF is way too boomy.....

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    None of those specs tell you how boomy a cab may be.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes it does mean that. Eden is using the usable low frequency for its frequency range quote.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    This may be true, but in this case, it does. The 410hlf has a lot more low end boom than the Eden cab.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

The Eden seems to be claiming +/- 2 DB from 40hz to 14khz which is likely somewhere between extremely optimistic and pure fantasy.

7. KJung

KJung

The HLF is a VERY bassy cab. IMO, very unbalanced. Probably my least favorite cab. The older Eden 212XLT was a beautifully balanced cab... punchy, warm, decent low end, high sensitivity. Not sure about the current Eden quality or if the new stuff sounds as good as the original stuff, etc.

However, if you are interested purely in low end extension, the HLF has that for sure.

+1 that the marketing specs are not that helpful in most cases, with Eden being one of the worst offenders for publishing 'fantasy specs'. However, their cabs sounded (at least back in the day) VERY good.

8. sandwich5027

Ah I see.....So would the 410HE be less boomy than Eden's 212?

9. sandwich5027

Now that I have my v4bh, which is awesome btw....I'm deciding if I should get matching cab....although I really like sound of Eden 212.....I would be buying online so I can't hear
    the Ampegs

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well Eden's never been a company that gave you the straight truth on their cabs. There always seems to be a catch with their specs.

11. KJung

KJung

No IMO and IME. There are very few cabs on the market that have such a peak at 100hz or whatever to be inherently 'boomy'. Non-issue IMO in most cases. This issue usually happens when you cram a large driver (or a bunch of drivers in a very small box). That particular Eden is nicely balanced and has a very usable low end. If you are looking for nice articulation (note definition) and a bass tone that 'sits above the bass drum and below the guitars' (like on many well engineered recordings), that particular Eden cab sounds very good (again, assuming the drivers and design have not changed over the last 10 years or so)

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    To my ears, yes. It'll still put the hammer down on the low end, but it's tight. The 410he sounds to me like half of an SVT 810e + tweeter (of course, I turn the tweeter off). That or one or two of the 12" cabs they have now would be my choices if you're looking more for that 810e sound.

13. KJung

KJung

The HE would be a nice match-up I think, per JimmyM.

If you really dig your 212XLT with the V4B, you might consider checking out the Xsonic cabs (there is a huge thread). The cab designer actually used the classic 410XLT, and the Eden XLT voicing in general as a 'target' for his small, lightweigh cabs. I have not tried one, but they get good reviews from the XLT guys. Just a thought.

14. johnpbass

johnpbass

If you want to keep things all Ampeg and go with 12s, how about the new 212AV?
    To your original question, having played through both, the 410HLF to my ears has a lot more low end, actually too much low end, IMO. YMMV of course.
    I've not heard the new Eden 212XST, but the XST designation IMO is actually more appropriate than the old XLT designation. The old 212XLT had a lot less of that characteristic Eden mid push that the 210XLT and 410XLT had.

15. sandwich5027

Well I'm a mid scooped kind of guy....I have my mids no more than 10 oclock on my Head....I hate lots of mids.....just always sounded too much like I was playing through a 3" speaker ......yuk!

Isnt 810 considered players mid sound dream? I like more even sound...

I wanted a 410 cab to push more air or volume...What I don't want is less bassey cab than the eden 212...that I know!

16. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

I have posted this before, but here we go again;
    There are two generations of SVT-410HLF cabs. The older, US made ones are built from OSB and have quite dark sounding speakers.
    The newer, Asian generation is built from real plywood, are much lighter and have more and cleaner mids, but are still bassier than most of the 410s. The ACME B4 would be the exception.
    I really like my newer HLFs.

17. Grissle

Grissle

Boominess comes more from the 80hz - 160hz range or thereabouts generally.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    There are plenty of midscoopers who use the 810e. That's why amps have knobs.

19. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This
    Very low frequencies are not boomy at all.:bassist:

20. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

+1

That range sounds bloated and annoying if too loud. Sub 80Hz sounds powerful and with authority but can interfere with a bass heavy kick drum.
    I have had nothing but great results with my HLFs.

Please note: even if the HLF has my preferred tone, the HE and 810 also work for me, just with less lows.
    Many other cabs do not work really well for me at all.

21. mrnylon

mrnylon

"In this country town, where the laughter sounds"
    The Ampeg Heritage SVT-410HLF has the US Eminence 410 speakers in it, and has a great bottom to it with the same specs as the Classic SVT with the standard Ampeg 410's. The Heritage SVT cab is 9 pounds lighter than the Classic SVT cab also. The Heritage is US made.