1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which cab - SA410 or NV425?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Dee-man, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Howdy TB. I'm looking at a Sadowsky SA410 and a Berg NV425 to use with a medium tube head (MM HD150, Mesa Buster 200). Putting aside cost differences, and JazzyItalian's tempting MM 118 cab, does anyone have experience with both to suggest one over the other? They weigh about the same and are both 750-800w at 4 ohms. Should I consider the Berg HS410 too?

I don't slap or play particularly aggressively or loudly, don't care for dirt or grit, and generally like a natural, organic tone (use Rob Allens or passive basses) for rock, jamband, blues, bluegrass, etc.

Thanks in advance for any opinions. DM
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

If the NV series is tempting you, check out the 412 and 610, or the 215 if you can find one.
  3. Dee-man

Thanks, but of the NV cabs, from what I've read, I think the 425 or the 215 would work best (I stupidly sold a 215 a couple of years ago - d'oh!). But only a 425 is available at the moment.
  4. rodl2005

rodl2005

Not used the 425, but can surely say the Nv412 is right up there with the NV215-deep,& tight & punchy. Just not quite as much hi's.
    The SA410 is great too, but is a squat 410 & I sold mine, kept NV412
    Kills for a classic bass tone.
  5. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

I at one time had the Berg NV 425 (3-10's and a 15" ) what you'll get is a little of the punch from the 10's and the fullness from the 15, it's a kinda, in a small sense hi-fi type sounding box, it just doesn't have the full blown punch that the NV 610 or the HS 410 can deliver, it has sound/punch of the NV610 and the deep/fullness of the NV 215, I'd say it is a very middle of the road sounding cab in the NV series, it's a somewhat smoother sounding cab than the NV 412, it does sound good with a tube head ( used it with a Bassman 300 Pro and a Traynor YBA-3 and an SVT II Pro and a Peavey VB-2, loaded with 6CA7's ) I used the NV425 for quite a while with a Bassman 1200 Pro and was happy with the tone I got out of that set-up .... kinda wish I didn't sell mine, but I'll blame it on GAS

Based on your tone wants, it would be a good choice, as a side note both the NV425 and the HS410 respond well with an amp that has good EQ abilities ... and they are pretty efficient cabinets, those 125-200 watt heads will get loud

I do have the HS410 but I acquired it after I sold the NV425, the HS410 is a good choice also, it will sound a little tighter and can go a little deeper ..... I strongly suggest that you try both cabinets with YOUR bass and amp

[​IMG]
    P1020416 by jastacey128, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    P1010538 by jastacey128, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    P1010968 by jastacey128, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    P1010838 by jastacey128, on Flickr
  6. Dee-man

Sweet! Thanks for all the info and pics, jastacey.

I just pulled the trigger on the SA410 due to the rave reviews, versatility, low end extension, almost-sealed cab abilities, and smaller profile. I was a little nervous that the NV sealed cab might not be versatile enough. But that NV425 is still calling, and is local with a seller apparently in no rush, so maybe I'll get to A/B them after all. :D

Any other thoughts or cab suggestions anyone?

Thanks, DM
  7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

I had a 425, and if you were looking at the one in Oakland, that may very well be the one that used to be mine. A great cabinet, but the one thing I found I didn't like was that if you were on a bouncy stage you had to put it on its side. It was too wobbly with a head on top on anything but a solidly braced stage. Otherwise it was a great cab. Have you checked out the Berg HD212? I have been using one for the last few months and it absolutely kills. It's heavy. But a DB750 fits well on top and it has a remarkably small foot-print. Gelb has them and worth checking out.
  8. Dee-man

Folmeister! How've you been? Hope all's well. Thanks for the info. That's so funny if this cab was yours (though he said he got it from a guy in Davis; maybe that guy got it from you first). Good price, you think? Has a bum wheel but is otherwise a-ok.

I haven't tried the HD212 yet. Interesting. I've been on a tube kick lately, which is why I'm looking at these cabs (which, of course, I don't need). Does the HD212 work especially well with those, or just a great all-around cab?
  9. Dee-man

Any other thoughts? Any supporters of the NV425?
  10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

I used the SA410 for a few gigs. ( It's not mine)
    It's a great sounding cab. Used it with a Mesa Boogie D180.
    As nice a 410 I've ever played. Easy to move to.
    Would pull the trigger on one in a heartbeat.
  11. Dee-man

Thanks again for the feedback, TB.

To put some closure on this, I got the SA410, which sounds great.

The NV425 apparently is no longer for sale, but I kept the spree going and picked up a NV215 from Juan at Bass and Beyond. Don't know how I got so lucky with the NV215, which I used to have and stupidly sold. Juan is a great guy and super to deal with. Anyway, so now I have both flavors (4x10 and 15" low end) and they sound terrific. The SA410 somewhat overpowers the NV215 when playing them at the same time (the benefits of a stereo amp!), but we should all have such problems.

DM