Which cab setup for tonight?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jumblemind, Feb 22, 2013.

1. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

I have a cover band gig tonight in what has been described as a "nice heated outside tent". This is for a law firm with offices in a couple of cities, I'm guessing anywhere from 50 to 100 people there. The location is a smallish lodge with modest grounds, so probably not talking a circus tent. Likely a smallish space, outdoor, but with some semblance of walls.

The amp will be either be a Markbass LMTube (if it's at home when I go to load up) or a GK MB200. The cab choices are a single 4ohm Ampeg CL 1x15 or a pair of Ampeg 210AVs.

What do we think? I'm leaning 1x15 for the small space, but then I don't know if that will inundate the place with bass.
  2. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Pair of 210s. W/o pa support, more volume if you need it. If you have pa support, I'd bring whatever is lightest. I wouldn't do a "room" like that with a single 115 w/o pa support. Good luck and have fun.
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Inferring from the op, a 15 is not inherently more "bassy" than a 10 loaded cab. One thing is certain, more spkrs equals more loud.
  4. g4string

Yep. +1
  5. jumblemind

Point taken, but in this case the 15 is a deep box that's ported, and the 210AVs are small, sealed boxes. My drummer has complained that he can't "feel" the bass when I play the 10s, whereas the 15 rattles his teeth.
  6. g4string

Sealed cabs will throw, that's why he can't feel it. I'd bet the crowd will hear the bass just fine out of your sealed 210's. The ported cabs will throw as well, but not like a sealed cab.
  7. jumblemind

I went with option C, actually. My new LMTube was indeed waiting when i got home, so i took it to the gig with an Avatar B210neo. I had one of the 210av cabs just in case, but i never needed it. Plenty of balanced volume from the Markbass + Avatar, and nice punchy sound at the audience level. Need to work on the mids, but i think i have a happy medium with this rig.
  8. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The Avatar cab wasn't even mentioned as one of the choices...