1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which cab, which cab....

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by geoff_in_nc, Jan 7, 2014.

1. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Supporting Member

I'll try to keep this short. Peavey Cirrus 5 USA+Dragon Skins --> GK 700RBII --> OLD Genz Benz 4x10 w/tweeter. (The cab is old with no model number on it... there's a GB engineer on here (AgedHorse?) who I PMed with a bit about it a couple years ago and he wasn't familiar with it directly.

I play country, rock, pop, older R&B. I NEVER push my rig hard at all when we play - we're low volume. I've also used my guitarist's GK 210RBH (I think) at times and love the tone. It makes my GB410 sound loose/flabby. The 210RBH is generally more than enough speaker for what we do.

A guy in town is selling an Eden D112xlt and an Avatar B210 (I think non-neo). How close would either of those two get me to the 210RBH? Is either one particularly suited to a very clear balanced tone? The reviews here on both say they're great but don't describe the tone goals of either. I'm thinking the Avatar could be pushed louder if needed? Am I wrong to think this?

Thanks in advance TB!
  2. Bulldawg82

Bulldawg82 Supporting Member

I have owned both Avatar and Eden (I play thru an Eden D410XLT). The both sound nice, but the Avatar is lighter (60 lbs without the neos). The Eden D series are heavy. The D210XLT weighs in at 68 lbs but is ported at the top and bottom (the Avatar is ported on the bottom only). This will cause a difference in how they sound. If you like the traditional sound of country, rock and older R&B, then you may want to find a sealed cab and no tweeter (or turn it off). Between the two, the Eden is more rock oriented while the Avatar may be more what you are looking for. Here is what my manual says about the Eden D-XLT series: XLT SERIES
    This is our best-selling line of speakers, with numerous models from which
    to choose. The XLT series cabinets have a low-mid bump that gives them
    their authoritative growl. This helps the bass cut through even the muddiest
    mix.
  3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

GK NEO 112's, a pair of them. Use one or two depending. Really nice cabs for the money, very light also. Since your head is the 700RB, you can bi-amp them with the speakons.
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

If the G-K cabs looks like this:

[​IMG]

It is the RBH G-K cab which is top of the line ceramic cabs. Unfortunately the 210 is no longer in production so matching it will be difficult performance wise.
  5. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Supporting Member

Jeff7bass: this is just an opportunity with the Eden D112xlt & the Avatar B210. Not a whole lot of interesting bass cabs on CL here.

B-string, I'd be running only the Eden or only the Avatar for 95% of our gigs. I just don't need the volume of two cabs. So I'm not real worried about combined tone. But that GK cab (same as your pic) sounds awesome.

Thanks for the replies though... much appreciated.
  6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

The Avatar B210 is real solid and should get you near "that" tone. Great customer service also in case something goes wrong.