Which cab would you get tomorrow? Aguilar DB 112 v. Berg NV 115

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by velalv, Mar 4, 2014.

1. velalv

velalv

So, I am in a bit of a dilemma. I just bought this weekend a TH-350 with a Aguilar DB 112. I absolutely loved the tone, however, it was not enough volume even fully cranked for a relatively loudish church gig (it was fine for my smaller church gig). We had a touring bassist come in to lead our worship night (2 hour set) and he said I definitely needed more power since he could not hear me. (We tried all sorts of EQ). My wife, who is our lead singer, could not hear either. At this church we play on a large stage, and put everything into the PA system. Amp is a stage monitor. I am pla

I am going to get the TH-500 for sure to put some more power into the mix. That is a non-negotiable.

However, I am wondering if I need a bigger cab. As much as I love the idea of a DB 115, I do not like the idea of traveling with it since I am playing at 3 different places, one with a going up stairs load in.

I play mainly contemporary christian, and some occasional bar gigs featuring Pop and classic rock. I play about 75% fingers, 15% pick, 10% slap, but don't need glassy highs.

So three questions:
    1. How does the Bergantino NV 115 match up tonally with the Aguilar DB- 112?

2. Can people carry their Berg with one hand easily? (I'm a big guy myself).

3. Will I notice a huge volume increase using both the Berg and the TH-500, even though I am not powering the Berg all the way up to its 500 watt capacity.

I need to make a decision by tomorrow for reasons I don't want to get into.

Thanks TB
  2. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker Supporting Member

You don't need more wattage. You need more speakers.
    Add another DB112 and you will be fine.
  3. Joedog

Joedog

I tried an Aggie 12 a few years back, and while I liked the tone, I also found it somewhat lacking in volume. Never tried a Berg, but everything else being equal, a 15 should more air. I am guessing you need more speaker(s)? I also doubt going from the 350 to the 500 (through the same speaker) will achieve the diff. in volume you want. If you are going through the PA, there should be no problem? Can they add (more) of the bass to the monitors??? Something sounds off here, or we are missing some detail??? Is it a stage only vol. prob., or out in the church as well?
  4. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Agree with above post - 1 - 12" cab is not enough for most venues, especially Aguilar cabs. I used to have 2, could rarely use 1 by itself.

The berg might do better but I do not have experience with them. In general TBers say great things about them but I do not know if one would be enough for your particular needs.
  5. velalv

velalv

They usually try not to put bass in the monitors, they want lead instrument to come through loudest. Sometimes, I had a hard time hearing myself once our keybaord play (and band leader) got going with their left hand.
  6. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

No experience with aguilar cabs, but do the Berg. It is a solid and compact cab. It's not NEO light, but it has handles build in on the sides and I carry it with one hand.

It has massive tight lows, but also has the mid speaker that makes it a great full range cab.
  7. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    I have to say that when i owned my Aguilar Db112 cabs. .It seems all that i ever did was twist knobs on my amp.. Many folks like them.. Just didnt work for me..
    If it were me i would go with the Berg.... I think the NV115 has the high end that you state that you prefer.. The DB112s are dark sounding unless you turn up the tweeter. then when you turn up the tweeter you get that tweeter spike .. Not a fan or that. The Berg is much smoother..
  8. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

I'd add a second DB112. I gig'd with a pair of these before I got my Uber 410. I use a P bass with the tone wide-open. They are "darker" as svtb15 says (especially compared to the AE112's they replaced) but I liked them and they seemed to sit well (to me) in the mix.
    I currently use a single DB112 and a Shuttle 6.0 at my church. Plenty loud with my passive P's.
    I do like the NV line from Berg but I have not had the pleasure of owning any.
  9. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Genz Benz 1288
  10. Linnin

Linnin

+1 this is your quickest; easiest, and least expensive solution.
  11. velalv

velalv

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it. I noticed that the GB Shuttle you have is closer to the TH 500. How big is your church space?
  12. 9mmMike

It is a small church. I turn way down. The WT is only drums, acoustic guitar, keys, bass and 1-3 vocals.

I have played firehall-sized rooms and outdoor bar gigs with the DB112's stacked. I cannot recall if I was using my 6.0 or 9.0 at the time. I think I got the 410 shortly after buying the 9.0 though.
    It was actually easier for me to roll the 410 around than to carry the two DB112's.
    On the DB112's, I usually turned one tweeter off and the other runs at about halfway. I never spent a lot of time dialing the tweeter though. Set it, forget it! Ha!
  13. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Here's your issue. You can get all the muscle on stage you want, and if your keys player stomps all over you, you're screwed.

But in the meantime, MOAR SPEAKERS!!!! I had an Aggie GS112 years back, and it was a great cab for lows, but a bit mid shy, just wouldn't punch through in a band mix, IMO.
  14. Joedog

Joedog

Sounds like a 3 part problem:

1. Soundman won't put bass in monitors
    2. Heavy left hand of KB player (assume HE is in the monitors)???
    3. BECAUSE of 1 & 2 above, you need more speaker. Soundman and KB player should pay for it....LOL.
  15. lexington125

lexington125

I've had my DB112(nt) for about 3 weeks, and I agree that pushing more power through it isn't the answer. A second cab will double your power anyway (TH350 is rated at 175 watts through 8 ohms, 350 watts through 4 ohms)

If the TH350 and a pair of DB112 cabs isn't enough for your church gig, this must be one rockin' house of worship!
  16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I would elevate your amp so it's closer to your ears. You'll be able to hear it better. A second identical cabinet on top of your first will also help a lot.

I would also suggest a meeting of the band to discuss these issues. The last thing you need in a church is frustration.
  17. 9mmMike

I must agree that you need a cooperative keyboardist (and/or sound guy). I am very blessed in that my keyboardist at church listens closely to what I am doing and adjusts to not double or compete for the bottom.
    My secular band has no keys and three guitarists. I actually have more trouble with them dialing in too much low end than I do with the keyboard player at church!
  18. robthebassplaye

robthebassplaye The World Needs More Bass Players - Start Early !! Supporting Member

I'm only going to address your (3) point, the others are a bit subjective and probably won't help you with your decision about loudness.

My assessment is that you need more speaker area, (moving air), perhaps more sensitivity. Some bass speakers of the same size, depending on the cabinet design, can be 3dB louder. Getting the higher wattage amp will not make you noticeably louder.

Depends on your def of "huge", but, no, in my opinion, you will not get a "huge" difference in volume by going from the 12" to the 15" with going from 350 to 500W at the same time. My experience, you will not notice that at all in a live band environment.

And, without going into the math, the theory also says you won't notice a huge difference either. You might get another 3dB because of the speaker size if it's efficient, maybe a bit more because of the power.

All things being equal (and they never are, all speakers and enclosures have different sensitivities), here is the pecking order for SPL:

1x12 > 1x10
    2x10 > 1x12
    1x15 > 1x12
    1x15 and 2x10 can be very close
    2x12 > 1x15, but similar to 4x10
    2x15 > 4x10

I'd go out and get a good quality, efficient NEO 4x10 or 2x12 cab if you are worried about the size / weight. The tone can spark an entire years long thread on it's own..

Rob

19. sratas

sratas

straight to the OP questions:
    - NV 115: low sensitivity cab, low ability to convert watts into sound, not efficient
    - NV 115 + DB 112: too different, you can expect huge humps and dips where the two tones couple/collide (filtering, cancellations, boosting of some frequencies)
    stick with a ported cab if you like it (DB 112), the sealed thing requires attitude. Very likely, if you love the ported cab tone you will be surprised by a sealed one, and not always in a good way.
    - non negotiable Th 500 purchase: doubling the power will give you much less SPL than doubling the speakers, simply add speakers, the end result will be astonishing, and you eventually could discover that the tone of the stack is much meatier because of the coupling of the two drivers in the lows and low mids.
    - power is not all there to be necessarily used with all the controls maxed out. With a more powerful amp you gain dynamics and headroom, thus impact and the feel of "big", effortless power. with any amp you could experience power compression if the amp has to sustain very loud peaks for long time, as with a bass, better to have spare power on tap to allow peaks to come trough (dynamics again, feels like a better connections between you and your amplified tone)
  20. robthebassplaye

robthebassplaye The World Needs More Bass Players - Start Early !! Supporting Member

+1

I wish I could have stated it as straight forward as you did. I agree 100%. Listen to this guy !