Which cabinet should I get?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Colton Turley, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Colton Turley

Colton Turley

I'm looking into buying an 8x10 used. I have found three solid options. The first is an ampeg for $550, but the Toltex is very ripped along the sides. The second is a Mesa boogie for $450, which has the same problem with the toltex and one of the speakers seems to be damaged but can easily be repaired. The third is a trace elliot for $400 which is in great condition all the way around. Does anyone one have any advice on which one I should go for?
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Play all three and see which one you like best!
  3. Colton Turley

Colton Turley

I guess I forgot to mention, they are all off craigslist, some a few hours away, so that's not ideal.
  4. jamiejak

jamiejak

stay far away from any trace elliott gear. to me it sounds plastic. i've toured with both mesa and ampeg cabs. i like mesa. i LOVE ampeg. really, its hard to play anything else after playing ampeg. put an svt on top of an 8x 10. best sound possible.
  5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Forget about "looks" they don't make a sound, cab needing speaker repair is not a good thing, never heard the TE and by its condition that "may be" a reason for it not being carting it to gigs? Which is closest (lean towards the Ampeg IMO, but talk down the price due to condition).
  6. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

Ampeg!!!! No ports, no horn, no problems. They last forever, or until you have to sell your truck for a 4 door sedan to have a space for child seats lol. Then its 410he time :)
  7. Colton Turley

Colton Turley

Decided on the ampeg, got him down to $485. Picking it up tomorrow.