1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which cabinet would you go with?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Mrkite04, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Mrkite04

Mrkite04

Just wondering which one of these cabinets you would take over the other. Right now I can either trade a jay turser Beatle bass for a peavey cabinet with a newer eminence kappa pro 15a speaker in it or, try and sell the bass to purchase a Ampeg B115E 1x15 bass cab. Which one would you guys go with. Right now I have a peavey 4x10 cabinet with an ashdown mag 300 head.
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Neither. I would try and match your 410 with a second identical one.
  3. Mrkite04

Mrkite04

Why would you say to do that?
  4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

If you like the tone of your 4x10, +1 on getting another one. Two 4x10's will move more air and hook up tone wise to reinforce each other instead of fighting whatever a 1x15 produces.
  5. tdub0199

tdub0199

6. Mrkite04

Mrkite04

I do like the tone of my 4x10 I just always thought adding a 1x15 would add that deep bass punchy tone if that makes sense. Thanks for the info tho guys I appreciate it.
  7. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

There is a lot of science supporting the fact that mixing drivers is not the most optimal set up.

What do you think the 115 will add to your current set up?
  8. Mrkite04

Mrkite04

I thought it would a a more punchy clear low end sound.
  9. rpsands

rpsands

Try putting the 4x10 on a milk crate first. Functionally equivalent in most cases ;)
  10. Mrkite04

Mrkite04

That's for all the info guys and saving me a waste of time and money.
  11. Stumbo

Getting the cab to ear level may give you a better idea of how the cab "really" sounds. Also stand as far away from the cab as possible. Try it out at rehearsal.

Also, make sure your cab has enough internal insulation. Sometimes it's not a priority for some cab makers. Doing this will also tighten up your tone.
  12. Mrkite04

Mrkite04

How about EQing for a good tone that will give me nice punchy smooth lows with clear highs? I have the head set-up sounding nice now the highs sound nice a clear but the low end seems like it lacks a smooth punchy tone. This is what my EQ looks like below.

image-1087107310.jpg
  13. rpsands

rpsands

Yowza.

Cutting 10db @ 220hz, I'm not surprised it's not punchy.

Roll that 220hz down to ~150hz or so and then turn the mids to 1 o'clock or so, and see how you like that :)

Failin that, try cutting closer to 800hz than 220hz.
  14. Stumbo

How old is your Peavy cab?

Maybe speakers need upgrading?
  15. Mrkite04

Mrkite04

Like this? I really have no understanding when it come to EQing of where rolling the 220hz down to 150hz or cutting it it closer to 800hz

image-449199665.jpg
  16. Mrkite04

Mrkite04

Don't know how old it is I bought it used, can't really afford top of the line equipment. I know more than likely it's me like I said in my last post I'm don't really understand the fundamentals of EQing, I just turn everything to 0 and mess with each knob till I hear what I like.
  17. joe5cent

joe5cent Supporting Member

In my opinion there are some valid comments here, and at least one that I can't justify.

1) If you like the sound of a 4x10 and you want more volume and deeper lows add another 4x10.

2) If you want more low, you can get a little extra something by making the cabinet act as a larger baffle. What did I just say??? If I take a cab and set it on another unplugged big cabinet the low frequency (LF) response will improve because you just increased the effective baffle size. (Though this is really impractical). Putting it on a milk crate does not create a larger baffle size, in fact it reduces LF response because a speaker cab on a floor gets a free boost from the floor, becasue the reflection off the floor acts as a mirror image source.

I used to used a 2x10 on a stand, and carried a piece of 3/4" plywood to fill in the gap from the cabinet to the floor to get the benefit of a larger baffle on a floor boundary.

3) If you add a 15" to the 4x10, it shold match in terms of power handling and impedance. This can be a bit of a trick.
    I have a 15" and a 2x10, that I like but I really don't need the SPL.

4) Regarding the science of different speakers. Putting four 10s in a cabinet is a bad idea if you want even frequency response, but it sounds cool on a bass! No high quality PA cabinet uses four 10" drivers over a wide freqeuncy range like a bass player does. However there are many high quality speakers that use a different driver for lows-mids-highs. The bass player with Dave Mathews (Stefan something) used to use a Meyer PA rig for his bass amp, it was clean!

5) I really like it when people step away from the amp. This applies to guitars and basses. The audience's ears don't hear what I hear (if my ears were in my knee caps..... maybe).
  18. joe5cent

joe5cent Supporting Member

In my opinion there are some valid comments here, and at least one that I can't justify.

1) If you like the sound of a 4x10 and you want more volume and deeper lows add another 4x10.

2) If you want more low, you can get a little extra something by making the cabinet act as a larger baffle. What did I just say??? If I take a cab and set it on another unplugged big cabinet the low frequency (LF) response will improve because you just increased the effective baffle size. (Though this is really impractical). Putting it on a milk crate does not create a larger baffle size, in fact it reduces LF response because a speaker cab on a floor gets a free boost from the floor, becasue the reflection off the floor acts as a mirror image source.

I used to used a 2x10 on a stand, and carried a piece of 3/4" plywood to fill in the gap from the cabinet to the floor to get the benefit of a larger baffle on a floor boundary.

3) If you add a 15" to the 4x10, it shold match in terms of power handling, sensetivity and impedance. This can be a bit of a trick.
    I have a 15" and a 2x10, that I like but I really don't need the SPL.

4) Regarding the science of different speakers. Putting four 10s in a cabinet is a bad idea if you want even frequency response, but it sounds cool on a bass! No high quality PA cabinet uses four 10" drivers over a wide freqeuncy range like a bass player does. However there are many high quality PA cabinets that use a different driver for lows-mids-highs. The bass player with Dave Mathews (Stefan something) used to use a Meyer PA rig for his bass amp, it was clean!

5) I really like it when people step away from the amp. This applies to guitars and basses. The audience's ears don't hear what I hear (if my ears were in my knee caps..... maybe).
  19. Stumbo

Another thing to consider is a a High Pass Filter or "rumble" filter that removes any mud tones below about 35 to 80hz.

Check out TBer FDeck's HPF/Pre unit or the Thumpinator by sfxsound.

That might help clean up your low end.

Also, remember that adding more bass at a gig is not always the way to go because of a venue's acoustics. Cutting the bass a bit and boosting the low mids sometimes will get you where you want to go.

Be sure and run your bass' tone contol wide open and adjust the amp's eq. from there.
  20. Mrkite04

Mrkite04

Thanks for your info too. I really wanna learn more about this or at least get a better understanding of how it works. Do u think this would work as a good baffle or just reduce the LF? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0002D0B4U