1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which Cabinets for Genz Benz ShuttleMAX 9.2

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by namuxtree, Dec 6, 2012.

1. namuxtree

namuxtree Supporting Member

Hi guys, I'm 'that' guy doing this again and asking the totally subjective question: "Which cab is best for my head?" I tried searching but there is just a mountain of data on TB and I can't sift through all of it to answer a specific question. Note that I am looking for the opinion of those who either OWN or have PLAYED through a SM 9.2, as I know that cabinets react differently to different amplifiers, but this is a specific question.

NOW, on to some context context context

The amplifier I'll be using is a Genz Benz ShuttleMAX 9.2

The cabinet(s) I am looking for is quite specific, so if you accept the challenge, then read on. I am looking for a modular rig that is easily transportable, so like a 112(x2) or 112/210, etc. The sound I would like from them is a deep bass extension that wont choke the B string, that low-mid punch that you feel when you play, yet still be articulate and clear - and if possible, be as even throughout the spectrum as possible. Some cabinets that I'm looking into are the Berg HT112ER's, AE112s, Thunderchild, etc. Baers aren't really an option because I need tweeters. From the looks of it, neo cabinets probably can't offer what I'm looking for, but if you know of such a cabinet that can fulfill my requirements, please do tell!

Just to reiterate, the cabinet needs to require most, if not all, fields:

1. Portable/modular
    2. Deep bass extension
    3. Punchy (between low-mid and high-mid sense)
    4. Articulate/clear
    5. Not too expensive used

Now, let's get some dialogue flowing in here!
    Thank you all in advance!
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Baring your box size restrictions (which are unfounded in this case), you should really give a pair of fEARful 12/6/1's with alpha mids a second look. They really do meet all your criteria.
  3. tabooze24

tabooze24 Supporting Member

If I were you I would check out the Fearless 1x12.

Also, the Big E speakers are worth a look too.
  4. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Not sure why you think fEARfuls are big boxes. The 12/6 style boxes are about the same size as a lot of 210s.

Although the fEARful and Fearless cabs don't have a built-in upper bass/low mid bump, it's easy to dial it in with a Max 9.2.

I've been using one or two fEARful 12/6s for the past several years and recently started using a Max 9.2. In my opinion, it's a match made in heaven.

My current rig:
    [​IMG]
  5. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Yeah very manageable size for their output. Cant shrink things too much with out compromising the sound.

+1
    Why have all those knobs on the max 9.2 of you're not going to give em a bit of a twist? :bag:

Just about a perfect pairing of power and tonal capability. I should have a pair of 12/6 alphas coming shortly in the new year. The max 9.2 might give me some gas...
  6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

That is a GREAT head, and it is voiced to pretty much work with anything. For your tone goal, and keeping it to cabs that are currently on the market, the Bergantino HD112's would be fabulous... deep, clean, crisp, portable if not featherweight. Wonderful cabs. (note: same woofer as the discontinued HT112ER that you mention, with a less hi fi top end/revised tweeter and crossover).

For a bit less bass extension and more of that low mid to mid mid punch 'baked in', the Genz NeoX112(II) cabs are GREAT. Very lightweight, warm and punchy sounding, loud, not quite as deep bass extended. A bit larger cabs, but just really nice, and you would be in 100% Genz land.

The BearML112 is a bit more 'tight and bright' than what you are looking for, although the powerful EQ on the Max 9.2 can get you there. If you had a Streamliner, it would be the ML112's all the way. With the Max 9.2, the Berg HD112's and Genz 112's will get you there a bit better.

The fEARful 112's would be OK also, but aren't inherently voiced per your tonal goal description. I do like the matchup of the Max 9.2 with those cabs pretty well. They are a bit larger, but about the same weight as these others. The Berg HD112's would sit between the fEARful 112 and the Genz 112... the Berg would have a bit less bass extension, but a smoother top end and a nice bit of low mid meat baked in. Really a pretty perfect 112 to my ear for those who want it clean and smooth and crisp up top. The Genz 112 will grind a bit more if pushed from the top of the driver and has a higher ratio of mid-mids to deep bass, in general
  7. namuxtree

Hmm, both the berg and that particular series II Genz Benz NeoX cabs are hard to come by. The NeoX would probably fit the bill better since I don't have unlimited funds. Hope 2 of the NeoX's pop up on the classifieds
  8. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    A fEARful 12/6/1 is too large, but you'll consider a Genz NX112? They're nearly identical in size.
  9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I missed that you were looking used. Two HT112ER's would do the trick for you. If you are on a tight budget, the Aguilar GS112's come up used frequently. They are big down low, a bit polite in the mids, but the Max 9.2 can take care of that. You can get some deals.

If you are on a really tight budget, you can get a couple of new GK Neo 12(Series II) cabs, and they are quite nice. With free shipping and the typical 10% discount that Musician's Friend typically offers, they are very affordable. Punchy, a bit bright, but the Max can control that. Nice and lighweight, and shockingly low priced for what they are.

Assuming you are in the US, I would consider ordering 1 and trying it out (they have a return policy, so you are only out shipping one way if you don't dig it). You can then order a second one, and use the 10% off or whatever promotion they are running that day, since it is usually limited to one item.

They have a nice wide profile also, allowing that slightly bigger than micro Max 9.2 to sit on top nicely.
  10. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    Ill bet that sounds really great!

Not to go too far OT but I need to get some sort of small 12 cab thing for rehearsals and small gigs.....

I will say the 9.2 is such a versatile amp that i can use it for any of my gigs.. rock, pop gig, a country gig... and light enough for a casual..

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito

Rocket music was blowing out the NeoX 112s. $525 each......before the 10% TB discount. They are great sounding cabs at a great price.
  12. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized fEARful/FEARLESS/greenboy designs builder
    Regardless of what cabs you choose, congrats on Getting a great amp! I've been using either an SM 12.0 and mostly a SM9.2 for awhile now and have been very pleased...works great on all my doubling gigs. I've used my Genz amps with at least a dozen cabs (Genz, GK, AudioKinesis, fEARful and FEARLESS) and if I did have a problem, it wasn't because of the amp :)

The upcoming tour I'm doing next month I'll either be using a FEARLESS F112 or F115. The F112 weighs 37lbs and fits your sonic description to the letter, as does the F115, which weighs about 46lbs.
  13. rpsands

rpsands

Given your needs I might actually consider those Acme 112 fullrange. Lots of treble, deep bass, fairly light, very small for what they are.

Now that I look at it, the Fearless 112 is actually smaller and lighter than a fullrange, and will do the job of two. However, it is quite a bit costlier than a single Fullrange.
  14. Big Brother

Big Brother

I have used a Schroeder 1012L and 1215L, an EA CXL112, a Bag End 210 and a Markbass 102p cab with it. All 8 ohm except the Bag End.

I more than managed everything on your list by pairing the 1215L and the EA 112. Clean articulate volume that cut through the mix with nice mid-range.

By itself, either of the Schroeder's or the EA cab will do well alone also.

The markbass was always a backup cab.

The EA in particular is a unique cab, it is just a 12" speaker but it really drives loud and clear, and right in the 'cut-through' zone. 127 spl I believe. I added the Schroeder for depth; they are also a powerful, articulate cab for the size and weight.

The Bag End is very nice too but it's not really a hi-fi cab.
  15. rpsands

rpsands

Schroeder and Bag End = Deep Bass?
  16. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Don't know if you have a lead on anything local or would be open to cross-country shipping, but it looks like Glenn at Bass Specialties in PA has a used pair of HT112ERs (w/ covers) for sale.

http://www.bassspecialties.com/coll...cabs/products/bergantino-ht112er-cabinet-used

I've purchased both of my HD112 cabs & my SWR cab from him. If he says the condition is excellent, as he does in his listing, you can be sure it's accurate.

(Other than being a happy customer, I have no other connection to this shop, & have made the 1½ hr drive from north Jersey several times.)
  17. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

I would reconsider a fEARful 15/6/1 in your case, they are not that big and usually come in around 55 lbs or so. Not hard to move around at all.

Sounds huge with my SM 9.2
  18. Big Brother

Big Brother

The 8 ohm 1512 and the EA together gave me plenty - a 15 and a pair of 12's. The Bag End is 4 Ohms, stand-alone for this amp.

I have good backup on this...

:smug:
  19. namuxtree

Thanks for the overwhelming feedback. Keep it coming!

I thought I might make it easier on you guys and just give you some examples as to what sound I'm looking for.

For fingertone:

and slap tone I'm looking for something along the lines of Andrew Gouche
  20. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Disclosures:
    AFM International Representative
    I'm looking at getting a 9.2 and did have an opportunity to try one with my Accugroove cabs. I have a Tri112L and an older Tri112. These two cabs also sound good with the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 that I do have. Most of the time I just use the Tri112L by itself and it sounds great. I play four and six string basses, a URB and also have a Roland V-Bass setup that gets a full spectrum of sounds. The only thing above is your #5 since these may be a little more for a used cab than you may want to spend. A used Accugroove Tri112 is somewhere in the $600 range.

Wally