1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Which cabs are very good at both vintage and modern/hi-fi tones?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nosajwp, Oct 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nosajwp

nosajwp

Has anyone here had success with a particular cab that could be dialed in for a very vintage sound as well as a very modern, hi-fi sound?

Or, does this have less to do with the cab, and more to do with the voicing of the amp and it's EQ capabilities?

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    IMHO to do this, you need a very even cab, and then the right eq to get the different sounds.

I am able to go from vintage to HiFi with my fEARful cabs. You have to turn some knobs to get there.

3. chadds

chadds

The less colored your cab the more blank the pallet you have for eq changes.

If your signal chain is clean enough the difference between old school & new school can be the side or tip of your plucking finger.

4. dincz

dincz

:bag:

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Oobly

Oobly

The cab definitely adds to the tone (some more than others) and some feel you can't really emulate this in the EQ / preamp design or settings. An example is a B15N fliptop combo. The cabinet design, driver choice, power amp design, preamp design, EQ section layout and power supply all work together to create the "tone".

Then again, you can get pretty close to most classic or modern tones just with the right choice of bass, pedals and preamps, IMHO. I use a "clean" power amp (Crown XLS) into a "clean" cab (fEARful) and I'm satisfied with the range of tones I can get (I use 2 DIY preamps, a solid state clean preamp for modern tones and an all-tube preamp for classic tones).

Then again, I am currently tweaking the tube preamp to gets as close to a classic B15N tone as possible and making decent progress, but I know it'll never sound exactly like a true B15.

In other words, a clean cab can put out any tone you like as long as it sounds good enough to you coming out the preamp section. If it's not, then you may need 2 rigs.

7. carbonfold

carbonfold

well... that is a three part question.

1. Type of Bass?
    2. Type of Amp?
    3. Type of Cab?

Those 3 combined could equal to the tone.

But if just focused on cabinet only, Berg NV610 comes to mind... But again, depends on the bass and amp as well.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    There are a variety of ways to achieve what you are looking for, but for me, the poster child for a cab that can dish out a very vintage vibe with minor tweaking, and then a very modern vibe with minor tweaking, is the (now discontinued) Bergantino HS410. The newer Bergs can do this, as well (the HD line favors a vintage tone a tad bit more, the CN line favors a modern tone a bit more). Many other brands will also get you there.

9. nosajwp

nosajwp

What about the Berg HT210 and HT115...do you think they could do both vintage and modern?

10. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    The current Mesa PH cabs can cover a somewhat wide spectrum with their fancy tweeter controls (I forget what it's called.... "Player Control Network") where you can adjust volume and also the crossover for the tweeter (3, 4, 5k). You can go from different shades of zingy/detailed to a more old school rock tone on them with the tweeter completely off.

11. Aqualung60

Aqualung60

+1

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, and between the two, the HT210 leans more modern, and the HT115 leans more vintage. Both take to EQ well, though.

13. chadds

chadds

LOL my spelling!!!
    Palette :)

Of course a pallet is some wood that we depend on.... Wait that's a third subject altogether!!

14. Mikeee71

Mikeee71 Supporting Member

I think I can get both vintage and modern out of my Genz Benz Uber cabs!

15. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

You'll need to dial in what you need. I use the same bass and the same cabs - fEARful. I've got those two as constants. I change up my preamp to suit. Then I search for tones that sway from vintage to modern. The fEARful cabs work out very well for me because I can get the tones I need out of them. I usually need to use a fair amount of eq. Right now, I use a rack preamp that has super limited eq but with a 31 band graphic eq in the series effects loop. I can quickly and easily manipulate the tone and because the eq is so easy to see it's idiot proof - me proof.

16. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

IMHO, this is a true statement. To my ears, GK neo cabs sound clean and transparent with an uncolored signal. Change to old-school amp settings and all of a sudden it's Motown baby! Or some reasonable facsimile. :bassist:

I don't think you can do the reverse with old-school cabs and a modern-sounding amp.

17. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I use the ampeg 410he and just switch out pres...

my Sans amp rbi for a rounder rock sound, swr pre for more modern sounds. It works nice for me

18. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

+1 to the Berg CN series.

I use a CN212 with a couple of different heads and can go from a very modern/clean/airy top end to a mid-rangey/old school thumpy motown sound with ease.

of course its your whole set up (amp, cab, bass, technique) that gets you there too.

19. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Firemelon
    The Genz-Benz Uber 410 does this really well. When I want punch and snap it's there, when I want vintage tone I turn off the tweeter and get that in spades too.

20. seamonkey

seamonkey

FOH worthy cabs. It doesn't matter if the band is vintage or modern the FOH has to do both. FOH worthy cabs can work the same for you.

21. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    The Big E MAS 110 and MAS 210 cabs, built by Mike Arnopol, have a wide range of voicings available with a few flips of a few switches, and can do what your'e asking for. The MAS 110 is competitive with a good 115 in output, and the MAS 210 is competitive with a good 215. I have some familiarity with the technology because I work with it in another market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.