1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which car for 18k?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Jan 25, 2013.

?

Which crossover or wagon

Poll closed Jan 30, 2013.
  1. Scion xB (new)

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  2. Mazda 5 (used)

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Kia Sorrento (used)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Subaru Outback (used)

10 vote(s)
    37.0%
  5. Subaru Forrester (used)

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. other

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  7. Carrot Truck

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Since the trans on my old Honda Odyssey has died, I'm on the hunt for new wheels. I'm looking for a crossover type with room for my bass rig and some PA gear.
  2. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

How long did your Odyssey last? If it's had a decent run, just get a newer model.
  3. Marley's Ghost

10 years and 175k miles. I really don't have the need for a minivan anymore, and want to move on to something else.
  4. Mike N

Mike N Supporting Member

I'd fix the Odyssey and pocket the $15,000 you're going to have left over.
  5. hover

hover

Yup.
  6. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Maybe get something slightly smaller. I have a CR-V which has served me well for a long time.
  7. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

Agreed.

But since that is not in the polls, Id say either one of the subaru wagons or the Mazda.

Just curious, why isn't the Toyota Matrix on there? Is it because there ugly?:D
  8. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Fix it and save $15000

Or fix it and sell it for $6000 and buy a $18000 dollar car with three down

are you selling the oddesy for scrap or what?
  9. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

One of these.

lowsound
  10. Mike N

Mike N Supporting Member

New trans or not you wouldn't get $6000 for one of those vans. Too old and too many miles.
  11. Richland123

Richland123

I just had a very similar situation. I had a 2000 Chevrolet Venture mini-van with 145,000 miles and it was shot. I looked around at many new and used vehicles and ended up with something I did not plan on finding. I bought a one year old 2012 Kia Sedona mini-van that was from a rental fleet but sold by the local Kia dealer. It is loaded with lots of options with 24,000 miles and looks brand new. A year ago when it was new, it sold for about $28.000 but I bought it for $16,495. My trade in was not much on my old van and I worked out a deal for the Kia less trade + taxes, title, plates, etc. for a total of $17,000 out the door. Plus, it has the remainder of a 5 year 60,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty and 10 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.
  12. bassbrad

bassbrad

I'm looking as well and checked out most of the cars on your list but the Ford Focus Hatchback is on the top of my list, roomy and our 2002 SVT has been a real champ and still going strong 130K plus miles.
  13. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

I know a couple people who just swear by Subaru Outback, and wouldn't have it any other way.
  14. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

A toyota, subaru or mazda in that order. Why people still buy American made cars is beyond me.

I am sure many will disagree but I feel a toyota corolla is and has been the best made cars the past 20 years.
  15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    I'm happy with my Scion XA. My advice is to downsize your gear rather than getting a bigger car.
  16. Marley's Ghost

A rebuilt trans is 3k. And it's got a few sizeable dings, the DVD player is broken, leather seat is torn, a few instrument panel lights are blown, etc. I wont even be able to get 3k in a private sale. And I was just going to replace the front strut assemblies when the trans blew out. So not worth repairing. :(
  17. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

oh,

Well ,scrap it ...sell it for scrap that is... Around here a lot if car lots offer $2000 for push pull or drive in trade . Im sure it's a gimmick .

I can't make any recommendations in your choices due to lack of experience with them.

Are you looking at buying private party or car lot?

Good luck and be tough.
  18. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

The most underrated cars are the last generation of Mazda Protégés, right before they changed the name to the 3. They were still made in Japan and Ford hadn't gotten their hands all over them yet.

lowsound
  19. paste

paste Supporting Member

Whoa 18k for a new xB? My parent's bought a 2 or 3 year old (used ofc) xB last year for about 10k or so and they literally bought that on the whim since our old car literally blew up. Pretty reliable car so far and even though it look's pretty small it can fit a full sized bike in the back with the seats down.
  20. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

If your going to sell the car for scrap metal prices list it for part out on craigslist first,someone may buy the engine or other parts for you and then sell the hulk.